Differentiate between rectangular beam and flange beam

• Thread starter tzx9633
  • Start date
tzx9633

Homework Statement

How to differentiate between rectangular beam and flange beam ??? In the question below , the answer provided is flange beam , I'm wondering can i design it as rectangular beam

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there's no clue whether the flange beam or rectangular beam , i think i can also design it as retcnagular beam . Correct me if i am wrong . [/B]

Attachments

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
As i read it, you need to design it both ways and then compare the two.

tzx9633
As i read it, you need to design it both ways and then compare the two.
ok , thanks for the answer ... how if other question ? Is there any specific clue that we should use flange or rectangular beam ? In what conditions , we should use flange beam ?

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Part C of the question says find the "ultimate" design. That is meaningless unless you show a comparison of more than one design.

Likes tzx9633
tzx9633
Part C of the question says find the "ultimate" design. That is meaningless unless you show a comparison of more than one design.
how if other question ( not this question) ? Is there any specific clue that we should use flange or rectangular beam ? In what conditions , we should use flange beam ?

tzx9633
Since the question specifies that the beams and slab are cast together, can i say that the beam must be 100% flange beam ? IMO , the rectangular beam doesnt have beams and slab are cast together, am i right ?

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
You're beyond my expertise. I'll let someone else answer.

Nidum
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There just is not enough definite information given in the problem statement .

So it's down to @tzx9633's judgement - if designing this floor slab for real what would he use ? What is commonly used in such situations ?

That's how things work in engineering . There is seldom enough definite information provided at the start of a new project .

Likes tzx9633
tzx9633

So it's down to @tzx9633's judgement - if designing this floor slab for real what would he use ? What is commonly used in such situations ?

That's how things work in engineering . There is seldom enough definite information provided at the start of a new project .
This is just a coursework question , it's just an question from the exercise ...Since the question specifies that the beams and slab are cast together, can i say that the beam must be 100% flange beam ??

tzx9633

afaik , rectangular beam doesnt have beams and slab are cast together

Nidum
Science Advisor
Gold Member
afaik , rectangular beam doesnt have beams and slab are cast together
That's a valid observation . So you can reasonably make the decision that it needs to be a flanged beam . That is what I would have decided on as well .

Really any beam being cast directly into a concrete slab has to have features which lock into the concrete . These features occur naturally in a flanged beam but would have to be provided as extras for any type of flat sided beam .

Likes tzx9633