1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differentiate between rectangular beam and flange beam

1. Dec 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How to differentiate between rectangular beam and flange beam ??? In the question below , the answer provided is flange beam , I'm wondering can i design it as rectangular beam

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since there's no clue whether the flange beam or rectangular beam , i think i can also design it as retcnagular beam . Correct me if i am wrong .

Attached Files:

• 790.PNG
      790.PNG
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
    • 791.PNG
      791.PNG
      File size:
      11.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

As i read it, you need to design it both ways and then compare the two.

4. Dec 29, 2017 #3
    ok , thanks for the answer ... how if other question ? Is there any specific clue that we should use flange or rectangular beam ? In what conditions , we should use flange beam ?

5. Dec 29, 2017 #4

anorlunda

Part C of the question says find the "ultimate" design. That is meaningless unless you show a comparison of more than one design.

6. Dec 29, 2017 #5
    how if other question ( not this question) ? Is there any specific clue that we should use flange or rectangular beam ? In what conditions , we should use flange beam ?

7. Dec 30, 2017 #6
    Since the question specifies that the beams and slab are cast together, can i say that the beam must be 100% flange beam ? IMO , the rectangular beam doesnt have beams and slab are cast together, am i right ?

8. Dec 30, 2017 #7

anorlunda

You're beyond my expertise. I'll let someone else answer.

9. Dec 30, 2017 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There just is not enough definite information given in the problem statement .

So it's down to @tzx9633's judgement - if designing this floor slab for real what would he use ? What is commonly used in such situations ?

That's how things work in engineering . There is seldom enough definite information provided at the start of a new project .

10. Dec 30, 2017 #9
    This is just a coursework question , it's just an question from the exercise ...Since the question specifies that the beams and slab are cast together, can i say that the beam must be 100% flange beam ??

11. Dec 30, 2017 #10
    afaik , rectangular beam doesnt have beams and slab are cast together

12. Dec 30, 2017 #11

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a valid observation . So you can reasonably make the decision that it needs to be a flanged beam . That is what I would have decided on as well .

Really any beam being cast directly into a concrete slab has to have features which lock into the concrete . These features occur naturally in a flanged beam but would have to be provided as extras for any type of flat sided beam .

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted