1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation by the chain rule

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1

jtt

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the derivative of the following:

2. Relevant equations
    Y= x^3(5x-1)^4

3. The attempt at a solution
    4(3x^2(5x-1)^3)(4(3x^2(3(5x-1)^2)(2(5x-1)(5)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't look like the chain rule to me. Apply the product rule first.

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3

jtt

i tried bringing down the 4Th exponent and then subtract it by one to get three, then leaving the inside alone ( 5x-1) at the same time taking the derivative of 3x^2. after that i got confused and got a wrong answer.

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex] y = f(x)g(x)[/itex] where [itex]f(x)= x^3[/itex] and [itex]g(x)=(5x-1)^4[/itex]
    So you'll first need to apply the product rule... as you do you'll need the derivative of g.

[itex] g(x) = P\circ L (x) = P( L(x))[/itex] where [itex] P(x) = x^4[/itex] and [itex] L(x)=5x - 1[/itex]. As a composition you need to apply the chain rule. (P for power, L for linear).

If you'd rather use the Leibniz notation form of the chain rule: [itex]\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{du}{dv} \frac{dv}{dx}[/itex] then let u=g(x) = P(v) with v = L(x).

6. Oct 27, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your function is f*g where f=x^3 and g=(5x-1)^4, right? The product rule says the derivative of f*g is f'*g+f*g', also right? Now you just need to find f' and g'. Finding the derivative of g' is where you need the chain rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook