Using the Product Rule to Differentiate a Math Problem - Quick Question

In summary, the conversation is about differentiating the given function using the product rule and the rule for differentiating powers of a function. The question is whether to differentiate v with respect to "x" or "2x-1", and the correct answer is to differentiate with respect to "x". The conversation also mentions using Maple or other software to simplify the process.
The Bob
Quick question.

To differentiate [tex]y = 20x (2x - 1)^6[/tex] I need to use the product rule:

[tex] y = uv \ \Rightarrow \ \frac{dy}{dx} = v\frac{du}{dx} + u\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

So that u = 20x and v = (2x-1)6

However, do I differentiate v so that it equals 6(2x-1)5 or do I use:

[tex]y = [f(x)]^n \ \Rightarrow \ \frac{dy}{dx} = n[f(x)]^{n-1} f'(x)[/tex]

to give 12(2x-1)5?

Cheers.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why should it equal 6(2x-1)^5?
You are to differentiate v with respect to "x", not with respect to "2x-1".

arildno said:
Why should it equal 6(2x-1)^5?
You are to differentiate v with respect to "x", not with respect to "2x-1".
Therefore it must be 12(2x-1)5?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Precisely, by the chain rule!

arildno said:
Precisely, by the chain rule!
Cheers.

Sorry it seemed so trivial but I only started teaching myself tonight and the book I have sometimes misses some of the stages out e.g. I actually have v = (x-1)6 but this will come to 6(x-1)5 as the x-1 will become 1.

Was simply checking.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers again. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

It would be much easier to put Maple/other software to expand that bynomial make the multiplications and the then differentiate each term of the resulting sum.

My guess...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It would be much easier to put Maple/other software to expand that bynomial make the multiplications and the then differentiate each term of the resulting sum.

My guess...

Daniel.
Are you trying to bait me?

What is differentiation in math?

Differentiation in math is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its input. It is the opposite of integration and is often used to calculate slopes, velocities, and accelerations.

What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The power rule states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1), the product rule states that the derivative of f(x)g(x) is f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x), the quotient rule states that the derivative of f(x)/g(x) is (f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x))/[g(x)]^2, and the chain rule states that the derivative of f(g(x)) is f'(g(x))g'(x).

How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the basic rules of differentiation mentioned above. You can also use the limit definition of a derivative, where you take the limit of the average rate of change as the interval approaches zero. Additionally, there are many online tools and calculators that can help you find the derivative of a function.

What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations in mathematics. Differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a function, while integration is used to find the area under a curve. In other words, differentiation tells you how a function is changing, while integration tells you the total amount of change.

How is differentiation used in real life?

Differentiation is used in many real-life applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate velocities and accelerations in motion, determine the optimal production level in a business, and analyze data in various fields. It is also used in calculus to solve optimization problems and find maximum and minimum values of functions.