Differentiation - Product Rule

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with differentiating a given function and asking for help. They make a mistake in their first attempt and then correct it in their second attempt, ultimately getting the correct answer of (x^2 - 1)/(x^2). They also consider another method of multiplying out the brackets before differentiating.
quacky

Homework Statement

In general I havn't had problems using the differentiation rules until I came on this question, I'm probably doing something stupid any help is handy. Plugged it into an online differentiation solver and it comes up with (x^2-1)/(x^2) which I am getting nowhere near to in my attempts.

Differentiate y = ((1/x)-1)*(1-x)2. The attempt at a solution

Using product rule

f(x)= x^-1 - 1
f'(x)= -x^-2
g(x)= 1-x
g'(x)= 1

f(x)*g'(x) = (x^-1 -1)(1) = x^-1 - 1
g(x)*f'(x) = (1-x)(-x^-2) = -x^-2 + x^-1

Adding them together = -x^-2 + 2x^-1 - 1

Simplifying slightly = -1 / (-x^2 + 2x)

And that's where I'm stuck, really not sure what I'm doing wrong here if its in the differentiation or messing up simplifying etc with algebra (been a long time since I've done math)

Help much appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
quacky said:
f(x)= x^-1 - 1
f'(x)= -x^-2
g(x)= 1-x
g'(x)= 1
A little slip here, which unfortunatly carries through: [itex]g^\prime(x)=-1[/itex].

Ah yep silly mistake. Just gave it another go, still not getting the answer I'm expecting though, can anyone confirm if the answer I think I should be getting (x^2 - 1)/(x^2) is correct or not as I might be chasing something that is wrong to begin with (although its much more likely it's me doing something wrong).

Attempt 2

f(x) = x^-1 - 1
f'(x) = -x^-2
g(x) = (1 - x)
g'(x) = -1

f(x)*g'(x) = -x^-1 + 1
g(x)*f'(x) = -x^-2 + x

Adding together

-x^-2 - x^-1 + x + 1

Simplifying

(x + 1)/(-x^2 - x)

quacky said:
can anyone confirm if the answer I think I should be getting (x^2 - 1)/(x^2) is correct or not
Yes, that is correct.
quacky said:
Attempt 2

f(x) = x^-1 - 1
f'(x) = -x^-2
g(x) = (1 - x)
g'(x) = -1

f(x)*g'(x) = -x^-1 + 1
g(x)*f'(x) = -x^-2 + x
These final two lines are incorrect.

Do you have to use the product rule? If not, you may find it easier to multiply out the brackets before differentiating.

Related to Differentiation - Product Rule

1. What is the product rule in differentiation?

The product rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. When is the product rule used in differentiation?

The product rule is used when you have a function that is the product of two simpler functions, and you need to find the derivative of the overall function. It is also used when the quotient rule cannot be applied, such as when the denominator is a constant.

3. Can the product rule be extended to more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule can be extended to any number of functions. For example, if you have three functions, the derivative would be the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function, plus the third function multiplied by the derivative of the first and second functions.

4. How is the product rule related to the chain rule?

The product rule is a special case of the chain rule, where one of the functions is a constant. This means that the product rule can be derived from the chain rule.

5. Can the product rule be used to find the second derivative?

Yes, the product rule can be used to find the second derivative of a function. To do so, you would first use the product rule to find the first derivative, and then apply the product rule again to find the second derivative.