Why are you starting a new thread? Is there something new you are asking?

In summary, the problem is to find the derivative of the function and then use the information about the point A and the tangent line to find the value of k and the y-coordinate at A.
jaycool1995

Homework Statement

The curve C has equation [tex] y=k x^3-x^2+x-5 [/tex] where k is a constant.

A) Find the derivative of the function with respect to x

The point A with x-coordinate [tex] -\frac{1}{2} [/tex] lies on C. The tangent to C at A is parallel to the line with equation [tex] 2 y-7 x+1=0 [/tex] .

Find...

B) the value of k

C) the value of the y-coordinate at A.

Homework Equations

C is [tex] y=k x^3-x^2+x-5 [/tex]
Equation of the line parallel to the tangent of C at A ( [tex] -\frac{1}{2} [/tex]) [tex] 2 y-7 x+1=0 [/tex] .

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I have found the derivative to be equal to: [tex] y'=3 k x^2-2 x+1 [/tex]

I am having trouble with the find y (and k) because if you were to solve that equation by substituting into it x we then have: [tex] \frac{1}{2} (7 x-1)=y=-2.25 [/tex] but that y value isn't on the tangent line to C. So how would i go about completing these problems?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In simpler terms, it is the process of calculating how much a function changes for a small change in its input variable.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. It helps us find the slope of a curve, determine maximum and minimum values, and solve optimization problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. What are the different methods of differentiation?

The most commonly used methods of differentiation are the Power Rule, Product Rule, Quotient Rule, and Chain Rule. The Power Rule is used for functions with powers, the Product Rule for the product of two functions, the Quotient Rule for the quotient of two functions, and the Chain Rule for composite functions.

4. Can differentiation be applied to any type of function?

Yes, differentiation can be applied to any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and hyperbolic functions. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques to differentiate, such as implicit differentiation or the use of the Chain Rule.

5. How can I check if my differentiation answer is correct?

One way to check if your differentiation answer is correct is by taking the derivative of your answer and comparing it to the original function. If the two are equal, then your answer is correct. You can also use online differentiation calculators or ask for feedback from your teacher or peers.