Difficult Definite Integral Question

In summary, the expected value of the largest order statistic in a random sample of size 4 from the standard normal distribution can be found using the equation E(X(4,4))=4∫xf(x)(F(x))^3dx. To evaluate the definite integral, you can use integral by parts, but it may be difficult to evaluate the second definite integral. The best approach is to change to polar coordinates for the first integral, but there is no trick for evaluating the second integral. This problem should not be posted in the technical math section as it is a homework problem.
DHB_Integral
1. Find the expected value of the largest order statistic in a random sample of size 4 from the standard normal distribution.

2. Homework Equations

E(X(4,4))=4∫xf(x)(F(x))^3dx, (from minus infinite to plus infinite), where f(x) is the probability density function of standard normal distribution, F(x) is the culmulative density function of standard normal distribution.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
To evaluate the definite integral in the above equation, my approach is to use integral by part, the simplifed equation is as follow:

E(X(4,4)) =-24∫xf(x)F(x)dx+24∫(xf(x)F(x))^2dx (from minus infinite to plus infinite)

On the right side of the above equation, we can evaluate the first definite integral by changing to polar coordinates, however, it is very difficult for me to evalutate the second definite integral on the right side of the above equation using integral by parts.

4.Question
How to evaluate the second definite integral ( from minus infinite to plus infinite). or What is the trick of evaluating this definite integral ? Please help!

Attahed is the my detailed computation process for your reference. I am not sure whether or not my approach to evaluating this definite integral is correct.

Attachments

• Integral Problem_Need Help.jpg
    Integral Problem_Need Help.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 828
Physics news on Phys.org
Do not post homework problems in the technical math section!

Thread locked

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in a given range. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has both an upper and lower limit.

2. What makes a definite integral difficult?

A difficult definite integral is one that cannot be easily solved using basic integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. These integrals often involve complex functions or have limits that are difficult to evaluate.

3. How do you approach solving a difficult definite integral?

The approach to solving a difficult definite integral depends on the specific integral and its limits. However, some common strategies include using special integration techniques, breaking the integral into smaller parts, and utilizing computer software or numerical methods.

4. Can a difficult definite integral have more than one solution?

Yes, a difficult definite integral can have multiple solutions. This is because there are different approaches and techniques that can be used to solve an integral, and some may result in different answers. It is important to check your solution by taking the derivative to ensure it is correct.

5. Why are definite integrals important in science?

Definite integrals are important in science because they allow for the calculation of important quantities such as area, volume, and mass. They are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and chemistry, to model and analyze real-world phenomena.