Difficult reading non-math/physics books

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding fulfillment in reading books without math or physics involvement, particularly in the realm of philosophy. Some suggest exploring different genres of fiction or trying analytic philosophy to appeal to the interest of a physicist. Others argue that fiction can be just as insightful and real as non-fiction and that limiting oneself to certain topics can be limiting. It is recommended to broaden one's interests and explore different forms of media, such as film.
Newspeak
I have found it difficult to concentrate on books that don't have any math or physics involved. It feels unfulfilling. Does anyone else have this problem? I tried reading some philosophy lately. But the fact that there were no equations made made it dull:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there's your problem, reading philosophy. Philosophy is mostly dull and unfulfilling (not always).

Read Novels, fiction. I only really started reading when I was 21, a couple of years ago, since then I read everyday.

You don't have to read "deep" books to feel fulfilled. And just because something is fiction doesn't mean it is incapable of conveying truth. I've found reading fiction to be at least as insightful and compelling than anything non-fiction.

According to your name you've read Orwell, in which case you must know this already.

Last edited:
What kind of philosophy have you been reading? If I may make a suggestion, I think analytic philosophy - Quine's in particular - can be quite appealing to the physicist.

(I don't have this problem with non-fiction, but I generally dislike works of fiction that try to prove some sort point. If I wanted to think about social issues, I'd read sociology/economy/politics, not made-up stories.)

Preno said:
What kind of philosophy have you been reading? If I may make a suggestion, I think analytic philosophy - Quine's in particular - can be quite appealing to the physicist.

(I don't have this problem with non-fiction, but I generally dislike works of fiction that try to prove some sort point. If I wanted to think about social issues, I'd read sociology/economy/politics, not made-up stories.)
Well, I have been reading Bertrand Russel, Krishnamurdi(sp?), Nietzsche...I have especially enjoyed Russel.

It's not that I will not be able to read Phil books, it just that it may take awhile for me to get back into reading them. I am trying to see if other people can relate.

Preno said:

I don't like fiction that tries to prove a point, I rarely encounter fiction that does try to do this.

Fiction is only nominally fictional, when you read it it is no less "real" than non-fiction. You are missing out on so much by dismissing it.

It's kind of the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Newspeak try to broaden your interests-physics and maths are good but there are so many other good things out there.Do you like watching films,because generally I find that the book is much better than the film?

1. How can I improve my comprehension of difficult non-math/physics books?

Improving comprehension of difficult reading material can be challenging, but there are some strategies you can try. First, start by breaking down the material into smaller sections and focus on understanding one section at a time. Second, take notes and summarize the main points as you read. This can help you stay engaged and retain information. Third, if you encounter difficult vocabulary, look up the definitions to better understand the text. Finally, take breaks when needed and don't be afraid to reread sections that you didn't fully understand.

2. How can I stay motivated while reading difficult non-math/physics books?

Reading challenging material can be daunting, but there are ways to stay motivated. One tip is to set small goals for yourself, such as reading a certain number of pages per day. This can make the reading process more manageable. Additionally, try to find connections between the material and your own interests or passions. This can help you stay engaged and motivated to continue reading. Finally, remember the end goal of gaining knowledge and understanding, and celebrate your progress along the way.

3. What should I do if I find myself getting frustrated while reading difficult non-math/physics books?

Frustration while reading difficult material is common, but there are some strategies you can try to alleviate it. First, take a break and come back to the material later with a fresh mindset. Second, try to identify the source of your frustration, such as a confusing concept or difficult writing style, and address it accordingly. For example, you could look up additional resources or ask for clarification. Lastly, remember that understanding difficult material takes time and effort, so be patient with yourself.

4. How can I retain information from difficult non-math/physics books?

To retain information from challenging reading material, it's important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, summarizing key points, and asking yourself questions about the material. Additionally, try to make connections between the new information and your prior knowledge. This can help you better understand and remember the material. Lastly, consider discussing the material with others or teaching it to someone else, as this can also aid in retention.

5. How can I make difficult non-math/physics books more enjoyable to read?

Reading challenging material doesn't have to be a chore. One way to make it more enjoyable is to find a comfortable and quiet reading space. Additionally, try to find a balance between challenging yourself and reading material that genuinely interests you. Choosing a book on a topic that you find interesting can make the reading experience more enjoyable. Lastly, try to appreciate the new knowledge and understanding gained from reading difficult material, and remind yourself of the value it brings to your personal and intellectual growth.