Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult reading non-math/physics books

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    I have found it difficult to concentrate on books that don't have any math or physics involved. It feels unfulfilling. Does anyone else have this problem? I tried reading some philosophy lately. But the fact that there were no equations made made it dull:frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2

neu

Well there's your problem, reading philosophy. Philosophy is mostly dull and unfulfilling (not always).

Read Novels, fiction. I only really started reading when I was 21, a couple of years ago, since then I read everyday.

You don't have to read "deep" books to feel fulfilled. And just because something is fiction doesn't mean it is incapable of conveying truth. I've found reading fiction to be at least as insightful and compelling than anything non-fiction.

According to your name you've read Orwell, in which case you must know this already.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. Feb 2, 2009 #3
    What kind of philosophy have you been reading? If I may make a suggestion, I think analytic philosophy - Quine's in particular - can be quite appealing to the physicist.

(I don't have this problem with non-fiction, but I generally dislike works of fiction that try to prove some sort point. If I wanted to think about social issues, I'd read sociology/economy/politics, not made-up stories.)

5. Feb 2, 2009 #4
    Well, I have been reading Bertrand Russel, Krishnamurdi(sp?), Nietzsche....I have especially enjoyed Russel.

It's not that I will not be able to read Phil books, it just that it may take awhile for me to get back into reading them. I am trying to see if other people can relate.

6. Feb 2, 2009 #5

neu

I don't like fiction that tries to prove a point, I rarely encounter fiction that does try to do this.

Fiction is only nominally fictional, when you read it it is no less "real" than non-fiction. You are missing out on so much by dismissing it.

7. Feb 2, 2009 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's kind of the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

8. Feb 2, 2009 #7
    Newspeak try to broaden your interests-physics and maths are good but there are so many other good things out there.Do you like watching films,because generally I find that the book is much better than the film?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?