1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult sequence problem

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sequence of terms U1, U2, U3, ... is defined by Un = 5n + 20

If the sum of the first N terms of the sequence defined above equals the sum of the first kN natural numbers, show that:

N = 45 - k / k^2 - 5

2. Relevant equations

Sum of first N natural numbers = N(N+1)/2

Sum of sequence = N(50+(N-1)5)/2 (knowing that a=25, d=5)

3. The attempt at a solution

I put the substituted kN into N in the equation N(N+1)/2 to give me kN(kN+1)/2.

I then made kN(kN+1)/2 = N(50+(N-1)5)/2 and solved from there which eventually got me to:

k^2N^2 + kN = 50N + 5N^2 -5

(I then divided both sides by N as N is always positive)

N = 45 +5N -k / k^2

...the +5N makes it wrong. I dont know where I've gone wrong, any help would be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    Your last expression is right, the only thing you need to do is solve for N.
  4. Apr 15, 2008 #3
    This one should be k^2N^2 + kN = 50N + 5N^2 -5N, but I suppose this was an inconsequential typo.

Dividing by N is OK, but this is not the result. Just divide the above with N (all the terms contain N so this is easy), and then group terms with and without N.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?