Difficulty with optimization problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving optimization problems in calculus and the difficulty in finding a substitute for a variable in the function. It specifically focuses on an example of finding the maximum surface area of a right circular cylinder inscribed in a sphere. The conversation highlights the use of a cross-section to simplify the problem and the need to eliminate one variable using the equation of the circle.
hexag1
I'm going through a calculus textbook in an attempt to learn it myself. So far so good, but I've been stuck on optimization problems.
I understand the concept. The maxima and minima of a function can be found by looking at where its derivative = 0.
I also see that a function that has no upper or lower bound can still have local maxima and minima.
I went through the problems in max/min section of my textbook just fine.

But I have run into trouble in the optimization section.

In these problems, one is asked to maximize or minimize some value (say the volume of a box, or the area of a window, or whatever).
First, one writes a function, almost always of more than one variable.
Secondly, using other information, one finds an expression to substitute into the function and write it in terms of a single variable.
Third, one differentiates the function, looks for the zeroes, and then evaluates the initial function at these values etc.

My problem is in step two. I can't find ways of writing functions in terms of a single variable.
Here's one that gives me trouble:

A right circular cylinder is inscribed in a sphere of radius R. What is the maximum surface area of such a cylinder?

So, the cylinder is inside the sphere, its edges touching the sphere.
We can call its radius c, and its height h.

Its area is:

[tex] A = 2 \pi c^2 + 2 \pi c h [/tex]

Now we have to differentiate and find A' . But how do we find a substitute for h?

From the cross section of the cylinder, we can see that the cylinder's radius and height/2 form a right triangle with the radius R of the sphere. So:

[tex] R^2 = c^2 + (h/2)^2 [/tex] Right?

solving for h, we have:

[tex] h = 2 \sqrt {R^2 - c^2} [/tex]

We then substitute h into the area function, and differentiate. I get nothing like what my textbook gives, which is [tex] \pi R^2(1+ \sqrt{5}) [/tex]

I don't see how they got this.

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing?

hexag1 said:
I'm going through a calculus textbook in an attempt to learn it myself. So far so good, but I've been stuck on optimization problems.
I understand the concept. The maxima and minima of a function can be found by looking at where its derivative = 0.
I also see that a function that has no upper or lower bound can still have local maxima and minima.
I went through the problems in max/min section of my textbook just fine.

But I have run into trouble in the optimization section.

In these problems, one is asked to maximize or minimize some value (say the volume of a box, or the area of a window, or whatever).
First, one writes a function, almost always of more than one variable.
Secondly, using other information, one finds an expression to substitute into the function and write it in terms of a single variable.
Third, one differentiates the function, looks for the zeroes, and then evaluates the initial function at these values etc.

My problem is in step two. I can't find ways of writing functions in terms of a single variable.
Here's one that gives me trouble:

A right circular cylinder is inscribed in a sphere of radius R. What is the maximum surface area of such a cylinder?
R should be considered a constant.
hexag1 said:
So, the cylinder is inside the sphere, its edges touching the sphere.
We can call its radius c, and its height h.
I would call its radius r (which is different from R, the radius of the sphere).
You can simplify things by looking at a cross-section, so that you have a rectangle inscribed within a circle of radius R. The radius of the cylinder is one-half the width of the rectangle, and the height of the cylinder is the same as the height of the rectangle, or h.

The rectangle intersects the circle at the points (r, h/2), (r, -h/2), (-r, h/2), (-r, -h/2). I'm assuming the circle is centered at (0, 0). Since you know the equation of the circle (right?), you can get a relationship between r and h to eliminate one variable.
hexag1 said:
Its area is:

[tex] A = 2 \pi c^2 + 2 \pi c h [/tex]

Now we have to differentiate and find A' . But how do we find a substitute for h?

From the cross section of the cylinder, we can see that the cylinder's radius and height/2 form a right triangle with the radius R of the sphere. So:

[tex] R^2 = c^2 + (h/2)^2 [/tex] Right?

solving for h, we have:

[tex] h = 2 \sqrt {R^2 - c^2} [/tex]

We then substitute h into the area function, and differentiate. I get nothing like what my textbook gives, which is [tex] \pi R^2(1+ \sqrt{5}) [/tex]

I don't see how they got this.

1. What are optimization problems?

Optimization problems refer to mathematical or computational challenges that require finding the best possible solution for a given set of constraints. This can involve maximizing or minimizing a certain objective function.

2. Why are optimization problems difficult?

Optimization problems can be difficult due to the complexity of the problem itself, the large number of variables involved, and the constraints that must be considered. Additionally, finding the optimal solution often requires a lot of time and computational resources.

3. How do scientists approach optimization problems?

Scientists typically use mathematical and computational techniques to solve optimization problems. This may involve using algorithms, heuristics, or other problem-solving methods to find the best solution.

4. What are some real-world applications of optimization problems?

Optimization problems are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, economics, finance, and computer science. They can be used to design efficient transportation systems, optimize production processes, and improve resource allocation, among other applications.

5. What are some common challenges when solving optimization problems?

Some common challenges when solving optimization problems include dealing with a large number of variables, determining the most appropriate objective function to optimize, and finding a balance between time and accuracy in finding the optimal solution.