Diffraction Grating interference pattern

In summary, when the two slits in an interference pattern are replaced by 20 slits with the same spacing, the number of fringes on the screen will remain the same, but the fringe spacing will increase, the width of each fringe will decrease, and the brightness of each fringe will increase. This is because the directions of intensity maxima in the diffraction pattern from the grating are the same as in the two-slit interference pattern, and the number of bright fringes will not change.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is the interference pattern on a viewing screen behind two slits.

(image of 7 bright fringes with black fringes between every pair of bright fringes)

How would the pattern change if the two slits were replaced by 20 slits having the same spacing d between adjacent slits? Would the number of fringes on the screen increase, decrease, or stay the same?

Homework Equations

dsin(theta)=m(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula above says that for constructive interference, the path-length difference between successive slits needs to be an integer multiple of wavelength (lambda). However, I don't see anything in my book about the number of fringes going up or down with N (the number of slits) on the grating. Any advice?

I know that the fringe spacing increases, the width of each fringe decreases, and the brigntness of each fringe increases, but I don't know about the *number* of fringes and whether it goes up or down.

Physics news on Phys.org
ehild said:

Two-thirds of the way down, I see:

eq_diff_slit8.png

* This pattern has maxima where all cosine terms are either 1, or all are -1 .
o All cosines are +1, when π (d/λ) sinθ = 2 m π
o All cosines are -1, when π (d/λ) sinθ = (2 m + 1)π
* Hence, any integer number of π will do, and the directions of intensity maxima in pattern from diffraction grating are
sinθm = m λ/d
i.e. exactly the same as for two-slit interference.
* The value of m is called the order of the maximum .

This tells me that maxima can be found at angles of θm=sin-1(mλ/d) but it doesn't tell me anything about the number of fringes for an N = 2 interference pattern versus an N = 20 interference pattern.

Also, I assume there is a point where the bright fringes dissipate as the order of maximum gets larger and larger (m increases).

" and the directions of intensity maxima in pattern from diffraction grating are
sinθm = m λ/d
i.e. exactly the same as for two-slit interference. "

If the directions are the same as in case of two slits, the bright strips are at the same positions independent on the number of slits. If there are seven bright strips in between the minima of the diffraction pattern of a single slit, it will stay the same if you have a grating with many slits of the same width and spacing, only the bright strips will be narrower and brighter.

ehild

Thanks for the clarification ehild!

1. What is a diffraction grating interference pattern?

A diffraction grating interference pattern is a series of bright and dark fringes that appear when a beam of light passes through a diffraction grating. The grating is a series of closely spaced parallel lines that act as slits, causing the light to diffract and interfere with itself, resulting in a distinct pattern.

2. How is a diffraction grating interference pattern created?

A diffraction grating interference pattern is created by passing a beam of light through a diffraction grating. The grating causes the light to diffract and interfere with itself, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark fringes. The distance between the slits in the grating and the wavelength of the light determine the spacing and intensity of the fringes.

3. What factors affect the diffraction grating interference pattern?

The spacing between the slits in the diffraction grating, the wavelength of the light, and the angle at which the light hits the grating can all affect the diffraction grating interference pattern. Additionally, the number of slits in the grating and the material of the grating can also have an impact on the pattern.

4. What is the purpose of using a diffraction grating interference pattern?

A diffraction grating interference pattern is often used in spectroscopy to analyze the light emitted by a source. The pattern allows for the precise measurement of the wavelengths of the different colors of light, which can provide information about the source of the light and its composition.

5. How is the diffraction grating interference pattern related to the concept of diffraction?

The diffraction grating interference pattern is a result of the phenomenon of diffraction, which is the bending and spreading of light as it passes through a narrow opening or around an obstacle. In the case of a diffraction grating, the light is diffracted by the closely spaced slits, resulting in the distinct interference pattern.