Diffraction patterns and lasers

In summary, we are trying to find the width of a slit using the equations for diffraction gratings and single slits, with given values for wavelength, frequency, and angle of diffraction. The previous problem involved finding the grating spacing for a diffraction grating, while the current problem may involve a single slit or a different diffraction grating. Further clarification is needed to determine the correct approach.
shyguy79

Homework Statement

A laser with monochromatic light of frequency 6.33 × 10^14 Hz is fired through a diffraction grating.

If the first minimum in this diffraction pattern coincides with the position of the second order that was seen in the previous diffraction pattern, what is the width of the slit?

Homework Equations

[itex]w=\frac{\gamma}{\sin\theta}[/itex]

[itex]n\gamma=d\sin\theta_{n}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are my results from a previous question to which it refers

Using the following values: [itex]\gamma=633nm[/itex]
and [itex]\theta=39.3^{o}[/itex]
and the equation [itex]n\gamma=dsin\theta_{n}[/itex]

Rearranged for distance between the slits [itex]d=\frac{n\gamma}{sin\theta_{n}}[/itex]
then [itex]d=\tfrac{5*633x10^{-9}m}{sin(39.3)}=5\mu m[/itex] or 5.00E^{-6}m

Now to answer this question I've calculated the distance between the slits:

First calculate the distance between the slits second order using the equation [itex]d=\frac{n\gamma}{sin\theta} = \frac{2*633E^{-9}m}{sin(39.3)}=2\mu m[/itex] or 2.0E{}^{-6}
m.

This is where I don't know where to go... I know I need w... but how? Please help, I've had a thought:
by combining the two equations and substituting for [itex]\sin\theta[/itex] then maybe [itex]\frac{n\gamma}{d}=\frac{\gamma}{w}[/itex] so [itex]w=\frac{\gamma d}{n\gamma}=\frac{d}{n}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I'm getting confused in trying to follow what you did, so let's start by clearing some things up.

(I'll not worry that you're using [itex]\gamma[/itex] for wavelength when λ is the conventional symbol used by maybe 99.9% of all physics teachers and textbooks :smile:)
shyguy79 said:

Homework Statement

A laser with monochromatic light of frequency 6.33 × 10^14 Hz is fired through a diffraction grating.

If the first minimum in this diffraction pattern coincides with the position of the second order that was seen in the previous diffraction pattern, what is the width of the slit?
Okay, for starters, diffraction gratings do not produce well-defined minima. Since you mention "the width of the slit", I am wondering if the current problem is actually for a single slit, whereas the previous problem did use a diffraction grating. Can you confirm this, or clarify what the setup really is for the two problems?

Homework Equations

[itex]w=\frac{\gamma}{\sin\theta}[/itex]
That is either the 1st order minimum for a single slit of width w -- or possibly the 1st order maximum of a diffraction grating (or double slit) of grating (slit) spacing w.

[itex]n\gamma=d\sin\theta_{n}[/itex]
Looks good. That gives the nth-order maxima of a diffraction grating (or double slit) of grating (slit) spacing d.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are my results from a previous question to which it refers

Using the following values: [itex]\gamma=633nm[/itex]
and [itex]\theta=39.3^{o}[/itex]
and the equation [itex]n\gamma=dsin\theta_{n}[/itex]

Rearranged for distance between the slits [itex]d=\frac{n\gamma}{sin\theta_{n}}[/itex]
then [itex]d=\tfrac{5*633x10^{-9}m}{sin(39.3)}=5\mu m[/itex] or 5.00E^{-6}m
It looks like the problem was to find d for a diffraction grating, if the 5th-order maximum makes an angle of 39.3° for light of wavelength 633 nm. Can you confirm my guess?
Now to answer this question I've calculated the distance between the slits:

First calculate the distance between the slits second order using the equation [itex]d=\frac{n\gamma}{sin\theta} = \frac{2*633E^{-9}m}{sin(39.3)}=2\mu m[/itex] or 2.0E{}^{-6} m.
What slits? If it's the same diffraction grating, the grating spacing doesn't change and is still 5.00 μm. Or is it really supposed to be some other grating? :confused:

This is where I don't know where to go... I know I need w... but how? Please help, I've had a thought:
by combining the two equations and substituting for [itex]\sin\theta[/itex] then maybe [itex]\frac{n\gamma}{d}=\frac{\gamma}{w}[/itex] so [itex]w=\frac{\gamma d}{n\gamma}=\frac{d}{n}[/itex]

Related to Diffraction patterns and lasers

What is diffraction and how does it relate to lasers?

Diffraction is the bending or spreading of light waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. This phenomenon is important in laser technology because it allows for the precise control and manipulation of light beams, which is crucial for applications such as holography and laser cutting.

What is a diffraction pattern and how is it produced?

A diffraction pattern is the interference pattern that is created when a laser beam passes through a diffraction grating or a small slit. This pattern is produced due to the constructive and destructive interference of light waves, resulting in a series of bright and dark fringes.

What factors affect the diffraction pattern produced by a laser?

The diffraction pattern produced by a laser can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the laser light, the size of the opening or obstacle, and the distance between the laser and the diffraction grating or slit. Additionally, the number of slits in the grating and the angle of incidence can also impact the resulting pattern.

How are diffraction patterns and lasers used in scientific research?

Diffraction patterns and lasers are widely used in scientific research, particularly in the fields of optics and materials science. They can be used to study the properties of materials, such as their crystal structure and thickness, and to analyze the behavior of light waves. In addition, they are crucial in the development of advanced technologies, such as optical computing and telecommunications.

Are there any practical applications of diffraction patterns and lasers?

Yes, there are many practical applications of diffraction patterns and lasers. Some examples include laser printers, barcode scanners, and CD/DVD players, which all use diffraction patterns to read and interpret data. Other applications include laser pointers, laser surgery, and laser-based weaponry.