How Is Fringe Spacing Calculated in a Double-Slit Experiment?

In summary, the spacing between the central bright fringe and the first-order fringe can be found using dsinΘ=mλ, where d is the distance between the two slits, Θ is the angle of the bright fringe, m is the order of the fringe, and λ is the wavelength of the light. Using this formula, it was found that the value of d was incorrect as sinΘ cannot be greater than 1.
beibixx
1. The distance between two slits is 0.0500 nm and the distance to the screen is 2.50 m. What is the spacing between the central bright fringe and the first-order fringe? Use yellow light with a wavelength of 580.0 nm. Answers: a. 0.010m b. 0.029m c. 0.290m d. 0.10m
e. 0.6m

2. y =LtanΘ
dsinΘ=mλ for bright fringes

3. Use dsinΘ=mλ to find Θ and then use Θ to find y with y =LtanΘ.
I converted 580.0 nm to 5.8 x 10^-7m and 0.50nm to 5.0 x 10^-11m.
I assumed that d is distance b/t two slits being 5.0 x 10^-7m and that L was 2.5m, the distance to the screen.
Rearranging the dsinΘ=mλ I find that

Θ=sin^-1 (m(λ/d))

giving me

Θ=(1)(5.8 x 10^-7/5.0 x 10^-11)

but it doesn't work because -7>-11 right?... so then ... I'm not sure which step I got wrong.. or if my logic is completely off.

Physics news on Phys.org
The value d in not correct because sinθ cannot be more than 1.

thanks! I read the problem incorrectly is mm to meters.

1. What is the Diffraction Slit Problem?

The Diffraction Slit Problem is a phenomenon in physics where light waves passing through a narrow slit will diffract and spread out, creating a pattern of bright and dark spots on a screen. This effect is commonly seen with water waves, sound waves, and other types of waves as well.

2. How does the width of the slit affect the diffraction pattern?

The width of the slit has a direct impact on the diffraction pattern. A narrower slit will result in a wider diffraction pattern, while a wider slit will result in a narrower diffraction pattern. This is because the narrower the slit, the more the light waves will bend and diffract as they pass through.

3. Why does the diffraction pattern appear as a series of bright and dark bands?

The diffraction pattern appears as a series of bright and dark bands because of the interference between the diffracted light waves. When the waves overlap, they can either reinforce each other and create a bright spot, or cancel each other out and create a dark spot.

4. What is the relationship between the distance from the slit and the diffraction pattern?

The distance from the slit also affects the diffraction pattern. The farther away the screen is from the slit, the wider the diffraction pattern will appear. This is because the light waves have more time and space to diffract and spread out before reaching the screen.

5. How is the Diffraction Slit Problem relevant in real-life applications?

The Diffraction Slit Problem has many real-life applications, such as in the design of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes. It is also used in various fields of science, such as in chemistry and biology for analyzing the structure of molecules and cells.