Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Difinition of a derivative

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    let f be a function such that [tex]lim_{ h->x} \frac{f(2+h)-f(2)}{h} = 5[/tex]

Which of the following must be true?

I. f is continuous at x=2.
    II. F is differentiable at x=2.
    III. The derivative of f is continuous at x=2.

I know (I) is true because it can be differentiated
    I know that (II) is ture to because the derivative was found so it can be differentiable.
    I dont know if III is true because the it doesnt tell me the limit of f'(x)

are these correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2
    That isn't the limit definition for a derivative unless x = 0, or maybe you typed it in wrong.

4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's okay...At least,for me...I edited your typo and advise u to use the code

\lim_{...} for the limit and \rightarrow for the "->"...

Daniel.

5. Apr 14, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think this must be:

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow{0}} \frac{f(2+h)-f(2)}{h} = 5[/tex] (ie. 0, not x)

I agree, with one caveat: We don't know the domain of h. If h can be positive or negative, f would be differentiable at 2 and, therefore, continous.

True, subject to the above.
    I think that if a function f(x) is differentiable at x, its derivative must be continuous at x.

AM

6. Apr 14, 2005 #5
    Not true. Counterexample: Let f(x) = x2sin(1/x) for x != 0, and f(x) = 0 when x = 0. Then f is differentiable at zero, but the derivative is not continuous at 0.

7. Apr 14, 2005 #6
    wait, you just said that x!=0, how can "f(x) = 0 when x = 0" when you just said x cant equal zero?

8. Apr 14, 2005 #7
    This is a piecewise function. f(x) has one rule when x is not zero (!=0), and another rule when x=0.

9. Apr 15, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, he didn't say that. He said that as long as x is NOT 0, you define
    f(x) to be x2 sin(1/x) (which obviously can't be correct for x=0) but that if x IS 0, f(0)= 0.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook