1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difinition of a derivative

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    let f be a function such that [tex]lim_{ h->x} \frac{f(2+h)-f(2)}{h} = 5[/tex]

Which of the following must be true?

I. f is continuous at x=2.
    II. F is differentiable at x=2.
    III. The derivative of f is continuous at x=2.

I know (I) is true because it can be differentiated
    I know that (II) is ture to because the derivative was found so it can be differentiable.
    I dont know if III is true because the it doesnt tell me the limit of f'(x)

are these correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2
    That isn't the limit definition for a derivative unless x = 0, or maybe you typed it in wrong.
  4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's okay...At least,for me...I edited your typo and advise u to use the code

\lim_{...} for the limit and \rightarrow for the "->"...

5. Apr 14, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think this must be:

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow{0}} \frac{f(2+h)-f(2)}{h} = 5[/tex] (ie. 0, not x)

I agree, with one caveat: We don't know the domain of h. If h can be positive or negative, f would be differentiable at 2 and, therefore, continous.

True, subject to the above.
    I think that if a function f(x) is differentiable at x, its derivative must be continuous at x.

6. Apr 14, 2005 #5
    Not true. Counterexample: Let f(x) = x2sin(1/x) for x != 0, and f(x) = 0 when x = 0. Then f is differentiable at zero, but the derivative is not continuous at 0.
  7. Apr 14, 2005 #6
    wait, you just said that x!=0, how can "f(x) = 0 when x = 0" when you just said x cant equal zero?
  8. Apr 14, 2005 #7
    This is a piecewise function. f(x) has one rule when x is not zero (!=0), and another rule when x=0.
  9. Apr 15, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, he didn't say that. He said that as long as x is NOT 0, you define
    f(x) to be x2 sin(1/x) (which obviously can't be correct for x=0) but that if x IS 0, f(0)= 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?