Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital Phase Control using IGBTs

1. Apr 16, 2008 #1
    My goal is to implement digitally-controlled reverse-phase-control (dimming) of 120V/60Hz AC power, using IGBTs as the switching device and a micro-controller to control them. The reason I am using IGBTs instead of TRIACs is because TRIACs cannot realize reverse-phase-control. IGBTs can, and can be turned off slowly, reducing current spikes and thus reducing EMI - which is a requirement for my application.

Anyways I will probably use this thread to pose a number of questions as I continue to develop my device.

Short disclaimer: this forum will not let me include URLs in to this post until I have posted more, so please bare with me for the time being: I can only include part numbers, without links to their respective data-sheets.

So, to start off: While phase control is my ultimate goal, for now I would like to be able to just switch the AC on and off. I have the AC side of the switching circuit already worked out, I just need some help with the gate drive circuitry.

The IGBTs that I have in my possession are the irg4rc10u

To provide the typical +/- 15 volts to drive the gates, I have opto-coupled DC/DC converters. The ones I have are the VASD1-S5-D15-SIP series.

Though the DC/DC devices are opto-coupled, would I still need an opto-coupled IGBT driver such as the HCPL-J312, or can I drive the IGBTs directly from the DC/DC converters?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted