Digital signal processing and the z-transform

In summary, the individual is seeking a complementary textbook to Manolakis' and Ingle's Applied Digital Signal Processing for understanding the z-transform. They prefer rigorous proofs and are particularly interested in understanding the reasoning behind the use of ROC in determining the sequence. They have a complex analysis textbook but are unsure if it covers the z-transform.
Avatrin
Hi
I am currently learning Digital Signal Processing from Applied Digital Signal Processing by Manolakis and Ingle. However, my background is in mathematics, so I like being shown why an assertion is true. So, in the chapter about the z-transform is where I start seeing this becoming an issue.

So, what book can I use to complement Manolakis' and Ingles book? Currently, I am just looking for rigorous proofs of the results in the chapter about the z-transform.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you have any complex analysis textbooks from your math background that touch on the z-transform?

Any example of results that you are particularly interested in rigorous proofs for?

I have a complex analysis textbook, but I do not think it touches upon the z-transform, but when I am back home, I'll look through the table of contents.

I was reading through the chapter on z-transform two weeks ago, so I do not remember now exactly what I was discontent with. However, I do remember one thing I did not quite understand: When learning about how I can use the ROC to find out what the sequence will look like, I cannot remember learning why it will be the way I was shown it will; I was just told so.

1. What is digital signal processing (DSP)?

DSP is the manipulation of digital signals to analyze, filter, or modify them in order to improve the quality or extract useful information. It involves converting analog signals into digital signals, processing them using mathematical algorithms, and then converting them back to analog signals.

2. What is the z-transform?

The z-transform is a mathematical tool used in DSP to convert discrete-time signals from the time domain to the frequency domain. It provides a way to analyze the frequency content of a signal and is useful for designing digital filters and analyzing system stability.

3. What are the advantages of using digital signal processing?

Digital signal processing offers numerous advantages over analog signal processing, including the ability to easily store and transmit signals, better accuracy and reliability, and the ability to implement more complex algorithms and processing techniques.

4. How is the z-transform related to the discrete Fourier transform (DFT)?

The z-transform is closely related to the DFT, with the main difference being that the z-transform is applied to discrete-time signals while the DFT is applied to discrete-frequency signals. In other words, the z-transform converts a discrete-time signal into a discrete-frequency representation, while the DFT converts a discrete-frequency signal into a discrete-time representation.

5. What are some common applications of digital signal processing?

DSP has a wide range of applications in various fields such as telecommunications, audio and video processing, radar and sonar systems, medical imaging, and control systems. It is also used in everyday technologies such as cell phones, digital cameras, and speech recognition systems.