Understanding Dimensional Analysis: Simplifying Fluid Flow Equations

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of dimensional analysis and the relationship between different variables in fluid flow. The main question is whether it is necessary for all variables to be in the same order of magnitude and expressed in base units for dimensional analysis to be effective. The experts explain that this is important in order for the units to cancel out and for the final answer to be easier to interpret. They also discuss constructing dimensionless numbers and solving for the missing component using dimensional analysis. The conversation ends with the mention of a strange question from a confusing professor.
Beer w/Straw
This is an elusive subject with added order of magnitude.

If that doesn't make sense, well... It tells that I'm confused.

Say rate of fluid flow in a uniform cross-sectional area pipe |A|=L^2,|R|=L^3*T^-1. Is it customary that I get all variebles to the same order of magnitude and be able to express it as the normal equation d^2*V for fluid flow rate?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow your question- the variables don't have to be 'the same order of magnitude'- in fact, the dimensionless number that results (i.e. the Reynolds number) gives information about the relative importance of various processes.

What I said was very similar to a question I had last term, and I still don't understand how orderr of magnitude is related to dimensional analysis:

A pipe of uniform cross-sectional area drains (fluid) into into a bucket. Use dimensional analysis to determine the rate of fluid flow to a within a multiplicative constant of order 1.

Dimesional analysis, although seems simple, is in none of my textbooks

I'm stuck on |R|= L^3T^-1 with cross-sectional area |A|=L^2

I'm not sure if I understand the question either, but if you are talking about "why do I have to express the measurements in base units" before performing the calculation (i.e. express them as the base SI units)...well you don't *have* to, but then when you perform the calculation the units will not cancel and you will get a different number with freaky units attached to it. If you use dimensional analysis so that all length or area measurements are in meters (for example) then when you perform the calculation the "meter units" can combine together (multiplication) or cancel each other (division) and it makes the units on the final answer much more simple to interpret.

That's a strange question. [R] = L^3/T is easy: volume flow (liters/min, for example). Maybe the idea is to construct a dimensionless number: [R]/[A] is a velocity [L/T]. For your problem, you may also need to consider the viscosity [L^2/T].

From dimensional analysis alone, if you assume a direct linear relationship you can solve for the units of the missing component (x). I.e.

R = (x)A

or R/A = (x)

Since the units of R = L^3/t and A = L^2, upon cancelling the units we get for x that the units are L/t. These are the units of velocity such that:

R = vA

Is that what it was asking for?Edit: Ah, Andy you beat me too it. I think what he is asking it why does he have to make sure the dimensions of L for both the area and the volume flow rate are the same, but we won't know until he replies.

Last edited:
Thank you guys, I'll ponder the simplicity of your answer(s). My proffesor is a weirdo who I don't understand half the time. It took me quite some time to understand he wanted a scalar "projection" and not a vector one in one question (that was supposed to be simple.)

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in science and engineering to simplify and understand complex equations by breaking them down into their fundamental units of measurement. It helps to identify the relationships between different physical quantities and can be applied to a wide range of disciplines, including fluid dynamics.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important in fluid flow equations?

Fluid flow equations can be quite complex and difficult to understand, especially when dealing with multiple variables and units of measurement. Dimensional analysis allows us to reduce these equations to their basic components, making them easier to interpret and apply to real-world situations. It also helps to identify the key factors that influence fluid flow, which is crucial in engineering and scientific research.

3. How is dimensional analysis used to simplify fluid flow equations?

To simplify fluid flow equations, dimensional analysis relies on the principle of dimensional homogeneity, which states that all terms in an equation must have the same units. By breaking down the equation into its fundamental units, we can identify which terms are equivalent and therefore simplify the equation. This process involves using conversion factors and unit cancellation to remove unnecessary terms and reduce the equation to its most basic form.

4. Can dimensional analysis be applied to any type of fluid flow?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be applied to any type of fluid flow, including laminar, turbulent, compressible, and incompressible flow. It can also be used for different types of fluids, such as gases and liquids. However, the specific equations and variables used in the analysis may vary depending on the type of fluid flow being studied.

5. What are the advantages of using dimensional analysis in fluid dynamics?

There are several advantages to using dimensional analysis in fluid dynamics. It allows us to simplify complex equations and identify the key factors that influence fluid flow, making it easier to understand and apply to real-world situations. It also helps to reduce the number of variables and parameters in an equation, making it more efficient and easier to solve. Additionally, dimensional analysis can be used to develop scale models and predict the behavior of fluids in different scenarios, which is important in engineering and scientific research.