Dimensional Analysis of Bridge Shedding Frequency

In summary: You need to use the specific density (or density per unit mass) to get rid of the mass. In summary, A bridge designer is concerned about the potential vortex shedding on the downwind side of a new bridge. This can lead to harmful periodic forces on the structure and the designer wants to determine the frequency of shedding (\omega). The designer believes that this frequency will depend on the bridge's deck depth (D), length in the direction of flow (L), wind velocity (V), and fluid density (\rho) and viscosity (\mu). Using the Buckingham Pi Theorem, the relationship between these variables can be expressed in dimensionless form by isolating \omega, L, and \mu into separate groups. The first group consists of \omega
weedannycool

Homework Statement

it is likely that the cross-sectional design of a new bridge will give arise to a vortex shedding from its downwind side. Such behaviour can creat harmful periodic forses on the bridge structure, the bridge designers is keen to determine the frequency of shedding. He expects the shedding frequency [tex]\omega[/tex], to depend on depth of the deck D, the length of the bridge in the direction of the flow L , the wind velocity V and the fluid density [tex]\rho[/tex] and the viscosity[tex]\mu[/tex]. Express this relationship in dimensionless form isolating[tex]\omega[/tex] ,L and [tex]\mu[/tex] in separate groups

Homework Equations

buckingham pi theorem; k-r=how many pi groups

The Attempt at a Solution

3 pi groups

variable;
[tex]\omega[/tex]
D
V
[tex]\rho[/tex]
[tex]\mu[/tex]
L

firstly are the units of frequency for this T^-1 and what units do i choose for L the direction of flow?

Physics news on Phys.org
just realized L is lenght! is depth L as well then

Take the following 3 groups of 4 physical quantities each:

[tex]
\omega, D, v, \rho
[/tex]

[tex]
L, D, v, \rho
[/tex]

[tex]
\mu, D, v, \rho
[/tex]

Each one has 4 physical mechanical quantities (with dimensions with respect to length time and mass only!). Therefore, you should be able to "construct" a dimensionless quantity from each of the groups.

As a first step, you will need the dimensions of each of the physical quantities involved. I'll start. Dynamical viscosity enters in Newton's law for the viscous force:

[tex]
F = \mu \, A \, \frac{\partial v}{\partial l}
[/tex]

and the dimension of force is obtained from Second Newton's Law ([itex]F = m \, a[/itex]):

[tex]
[F] = [m] \, [a] = \mathrm{M} \, \mathrm{L} \, \mathrm{T}^{-2}
[/tex]

Then, we have:

[tex]
[F] = [\mu] \, [A] \, \frac{[v]}{[l]}
[/tex]

[tex]
\mathrm{M} \, \mathrm{L} \, \mathrm{T}^{-2} = [\mu] \, \mathrm{L}^{2} \, \frac{\mathrm{L} \, \mathrm{T}^{-1}}{\mathrm{L}}
[/tex]

[tex]
[\mu] = \mathrm{M} \, \mathrm{L}^{-1} \, \mathrm{T}^{-1}
[/tex]

i kinda know most of the dimensions of the groups of by heart.
How did u make those equtions so fast !
i have for the first pi group

[tex]\omega[/tex]DV[tex]\rho[/tex]

=T-1(ML-3)a(L)b(LT-1)c

i am unsure wether that is the correct dimision for [tex]\omega[/tex] though.

In the first group, only [itex]\rho[/itex] has a dimension of mass, so it cannot cancel with anything else. Therefore, it cannot enter in the dimensionless combination ([itex]a = 0[/itex]). Then, consider which of the remaining quantities have dimension of time. In what combination do you have to take them so that time cancels? This combination has only remaining dimension of length. How should you combine it with the remaining quantity from the group so that you cancel the length as well?

I claim that the second group has a trivial dimensionless combination (there are two quantites with the same dimension).

For the third group, you need to do a similar procedure as for the first one, but you need to cancel mass this time as well.

EDIT:

You were right about the dimension of [itex]\omega[/itex] and I use LaTeX for the equation editing.

thanks. but i still can get my head around it. do i need to use the specific density to get rid of the mass otherwise i can't solve it.

weedannycool said:
thanks. but i still can get my head around it. do i need to use the specific density to get rid of the mass otherwise i can't solve it.

In the third group, yes, definitely.

1. What is dimensional analysis and how is it applied to bridge shedding frequency?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to analyze and understand the relationship between different physical quantities. In the case of bridge shedding frequency, dimensional analysis is used to determine the factors that affect the frequency at which a bridge sheds or loses debris. By examining the dimensions of relevant variables such as wind speed, bridge dimensions, and material properties, dimensional analysis can help identify the key factors that influence bridge shedding frequency.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important in understanding bridge shedding frequency?

Dimensional analysis is important in understanding bridge shedding frequency because it allows for a more comprehensive and quantitative analysis of the phenomenon. By breaking down the problem into its fundamental dimensions, it becomes easier to identify which variables have the greatest impact on bridge shedding frequency. This information can then be used to inform design and maintenance decisions for bridges, ultimately improving their safety and longevity.

3. What are some examples of variables that can affect bridge shedding frequency?

Variables that can affect bridge shedding frequency include wind speed, wind direction, bridge length, bridge width, bridge height, material properties (such as strength and flexibility), and the presence of any obstructions or structures near the bridge that may alter wind flow. Other factors, such as the shape and design of the bridge, may also play a role.

4. How does dimensional analysis help to account for different environmental conditions in the study of bridge shedding frequency?

Dimensional analysis helps to account for different environmental conditions by allowing for the conversion of values from one unit system to another. This is important because different units of measurement may be used to describe the same physical quantity in different countries or regions. By using dimensional analysis to convert values to a common unit system, researchers can compare data from different locations and conditions in a meaningful way.

5. Can dimensional analysis be applied to other engineering problems besides bridge shedding frequency?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be applied to a wide range of engineering problems. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and structural analysis, among other fields. By identifying the key dimensions that affect a particular problem, dimensional analysis can help engineers to develop more efficient and effective solutions.