Dimensional Analysis:Relating Particle Diam, Viscosity, & Weight

In summary, the terminal velocity of a spherical particle in a fluid is determined by its diameter, the dynamic viscosity of the fluid, and the buoyancy weight of the particle, which is given by the difference in density between the particle and the fluid multiplied by gravitational acceleration. To find the relationship between these variables, treat the buoyancy weight as a single term and use Stokes' law.
evoke1l1

Homework Statement

It is found the terminal velocity ut of a spherical particle in a fluid depends upon the diameter d of particle, the dynamic viscosity μ of fluid and the buoyancy weight W of the particle [given by the difference in density between the particle and the fluid (∆ρ) × gravitational acceleration (g)]. Determine the nature of the relationship between these variables.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
image.png

image.png

I'm not quite sure if I'm on the right track and where to go next from here? Any guidance or a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. I can't help but think I have gone slightly wrong due to the number of indices to solve for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should make the weight a single term? That is, treat ∆ρ⋅g as one term. That, after all, is how it is described in the problem statement.

Likes evoke1l1
Thank you. That was a big help. I obviously missed taking ∆ρ⋅g as W and got stuck in a rut. The end equation I've now determined to be as per Stokes law.

Many thanks.

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used in science to analyze and understand the relationships between different physical quantities. It involves converting units of measurement and using mathematical equations to relate different variables.

2. How does dimensional analysis relate to particle diameter, viscosity, and weight?

Dimensional analysis can be used to relate these three variables by considering their respective units of measurement. By converting particle diameter, viscosity, and weight into the same units, a dimensional analysis can be performed to determine the relationships between them.

3. What units are commonly used for particle diameter, viscosity, and weight?

Particle diameter is commonly measured in micrometers or nanometers, viscosity is measured in units of force per unit area per unit time (such as pascal-seconds), and weight is typically measured in kilograms or pounds.

4. How does dimensional analysis help in scientific research?

Dimensional analysis is a useful tool in scientific research as it can help identify and understand the relationships between different physical quantities. By converting and analyzing units of measurement, scientists can determine how different variables affect each other and make predictions based on these relationships.

5. What are some real-world applications of dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is widely used in many fields of science and engineering, including fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and chemistry. It has applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals, aerospace, and energy production, where understanding the relationships between different physical quantities is crucial for efficient and effective processes.