1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional Analysis

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is found the terminal velocity ut of a spherical particle in a fluid depends upon the diameter d of particle, the dynamic viscosity μ of fluid and the buoyancy weight W of the particle [given by the difference in density between the particle and the fluid (∆ρ) × gravitational acceleration (g)]. Determine the nature of the relationship between these variables.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

image.png

image.png

I'm not quite sure if I'm on the right track and where to go next from here? Any guidance or a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. I can't help but think I have gone slightly wrong due to the number of indices to solve for.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps you should make the weight a single term? That is, treat ∆ρ⋅g as one term. That, after all, is how it is described in the problem statement.

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    Thank you. That was a big help. I obviously missed taking ∆ρ⋅g as W and got stuck in a rut. The end equation I've now determined to be as per Stokes law.

Many thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted