Dimensionless form of the time-independent Schrodinger equation

In summary, the time-independent Schrodinger equation for a free particle can be written in dimensionless form as d^2\psi(z)/dz^2 = -\psi(z). This can be achieved by substituting z=[hbar/sqrt{2m}]x and using the chain rule to change the variable of differentiation from x to z.
ehrenfest
For a free particle, show that the time-independent Schrodinger equation can be written in dimensionless form as

[tex] d^2\psi(z)/dz^2 = -\psi(z) [/tex].

I do not see how you would get rid of the m (with units mass) in front of the del in the SE (or the other constants for that matter)...

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute z=[hbar/sqrt{2m}]x

Sorry, this is probably a really basic question but if I have psi(x(z)), how do I get psi(z)?

psi(z(x))=psi(z). They are the same thing. Meir is suggesting you change the variable you differentiate wrt, not the psi. Use the chain rule.

Just so we are on the same page, the equation I am starting with is:

[tex] -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi_E(x) = E \psi_E(x) [/tex]

where (I thought) E was a constant not an operator.

So, first, I do not see how that substitution would get rid of the constant E.

Second, if I change variables I get

[tex] -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi_E(v(x)) = E \psi_E(v(x)) [/tex]

I cannot change the dx in the second derivative because that is part of an operator not a variable, right?

Then if I use the chain rule one time, I get:

d/dx psi(z(x)) = d/dx psi(z) * d/dx z(x) from which I do not see how you get a d/dz operator into the equation

Sorry, it should have been sqrt{mE}.
If z=ax, d/dx=ad/dz.
Look at your calculus text.

Meir Achuz said:
If z=ax, d/dx=ad/dz.

Sorry, I cannot find that rule in my calculus text. Does it have a name? I know how to substitute variables with integrals, but I have not seen it with derivatives. If you were going to do it with an integral it would be

dz = a*x*dx but how do you get the derivative operator form? Sorry again, I should probably know this!

ehrenfest said:
Sorry, I cannot find that rule in my calculus text. Does it have a name? I know how to substitute variables with integrals, but I have not seen it with derivatives. If you were going to do it with an integral it would be

dz = a*x*dx but how do you get the derivative operator form? Sorry again, I should probably know this!

z = a x

Now, [itex] \frac{d}{dx} = \frac{dz}{dx} \frac{d}{dz} = a \frac{d}{dz} [/itex]

It's just the chain rule applied to a very simple case.

nrqed said:
z = a x

The chain rule states that if a = f(b) and if b = f(c), then da/dc = da/db * db/dc.

Your comment obviously makes sense with the Liebnex notation when you treat differentials like fractions, but I do not see how you get that directly from the chain rule. Apply, d/dx to both sides of the equation doesn't work...

Last edited:
nrqed said:
z = a x

I think I see now. You can just replace d/dx with any dy/dx for any function y and you get the chain rule. Just a little too abstract for me!

ehrenfest said:
I think I see now. You can just replace d/dx with any dy/dx for any function y and you get the chain rule. Just a little too abstract for me!

To show how it comes from the chain rule, consider a function y(z) and z is a function of x itself z(x).
Then the chain rule says

dy/dx = dy/dz dz/dx

Now let's say that z= ax. Then we have dz/dx = a (where a is a constant)

So

dy/dx = a dy/dz

In this thread, you must think of the wavefunction psi as playing the role of y.

Psi is initially a function of x. But then you imagine replacing all the x interms fo z in order to get a function psi(z). Plugging back in the Schrodinger equation, you then have to deal with calculating

[itex] \frac{d \psi(z)}{dx} [/itex]. Using the rule above, you see that this is equal to [itex] a \frac{d \psi(z)}{dz} [/itex].

1. What is the dimensionless form of the time-independent Schrodinger equation?

The dimensionless form of the time-independent Schrodinger equation is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of quantum particles in a stationary state. It is written in terms of dimensionless variables such as the wavefunction, energy, and potential.

2. Why is the dimensionless form of the Schrodinger equation important?

The dimensionless form of the Schrodinger equation is important because it allows for easier comparison and analysis of quantum systems. By removing the influence of physical units, it simplifies calculations and reveals underlying patterns and relationships between different systems.

3. How is the dimensionless form of the Schrodinger equation derived?

The dimensionless form of the Schrodinger equation is derived by introducing dimensionless variables and substituting them into the original Schrodinger equation. This process involves using the principle of dimensional homogeneity to eliminate physical units and express the equation solely in terms of dimensionless quantities.

4. What are the advantages of using the dimensionless form of the Schrodinger equation?

There are several advantages of using the dimensionless form of the Schrodinger equation. It simplifies calculations, allows for easier comparison and analysis of different systems, and reveals underlying patterns and relationships between quantum systems. Additionally, it can provide insights into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and aid in the development of new theoretical models.

5. Does the dimensionless form of the Schrodinger equation have any limitations?

While the dimensionless form of the Schrodinger equation is a useful tool for analyzing and understanding quantum systems, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to stationary states, and it cannot account for time-dependent phenomena such as particle interactions or wave function collapse. Additionally, it is a theoretical model and may not fully capture the complexity of real-world systems.