Dipole in physics and Chemistry

In summary: This is convention. Mostly a dipole vector goes from - to +. Now what your chemistry book is trying to say is that a dipole arise because the + and - charges are not homogeneous.
Simonnava
Here is my concern,

In my physics class I learned that a dipole moment always goes from the - charge to the + charge. But as I was reading my Organic Chemistry book, it says that the dipole goes from + to -! how can this be?

P = Qd

Does anyone know about this?

Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
A chemical dipole is the vector resultant of the vectors of the charges present. For example, a V-shaped molecule such as water has two charge vectors pointing from each hydrogen to the central oxygen because of the oxygen's higher electronegativity; therefore, the resultant dipole points straight through the oxygen (bisects the smaller angle between the two bonds with hydrogen). Not sure about physical dipoles or that formula. Hope this helps.

Simonnava said:
Here is my concern,

In my physics class I learned that a dipole moment always goes from the - charge to the + charge. But as I was reading my Organic Chemistry book, it says that the dipole goes from + to -! how can this be?

P = Qd

Does anyone know about this?

Simon

This is convention. Mostly a dipole vector goes from - to +. Now what your chemistry book is trying to say is that a dipole arise because the + and - charges are not homogeneous. For example when two electrodes are placed into a neutral specimen containing charged particles (both + and - charges) then when a current is applied for example the positive charges will evolve to one side (or plate if you will) of the electrode and the negative charges will go to the opposite direction. because of this new "configuration" the charges are placed into two groups : a positive group on the one side and a negative group on the other side. this difference in charge distribution causes the dipole.

The formula is right for the magnitude of the electrical dipole. Normally it is
p=Qd where the d-vector goes from the negative to the positive charge and denotes the distance between them...

marlon

FAQ: Dipole in physics and Chemistry

1. What is a dipole in physics and chemistry?

A dipole refers to a separation of electric charge within a molecule or atom, resulting in a positive and negative pole. This can occur due to differences in electronegativity between atoms or the asymmetric distribution of electrons in a molecule.

2. How is a dipole represented in physics and chemistry?

A dipole moment is commonly used to represent the magnitude and direction of a dipole. This is a vector quantity that points from the negative to the positive pole, with the magnitude determined by the distance between the poles and the strength of the charges.

3. What causes a dipole to form in physics and chemistry?

A dipole can form due to the presence of polar covalent bonds, in which the electrons are not shared equally between atoms. It can also be caused by the asymmetric distribution of electrons in a molecule, such as in the case of polar molecules like water.

4. How does a dipole affect the properties of a molecule or atom?

The presence of a dipole can affect the physical and chemical properties of a molecule or atom. For example, polar molecules tend to have higher boiling and melting points due to stronger intermolecular forces. Dipole-dipole interactions can also play a role in chemical reactions.

5. Can a dipole be induced in a molecule or atom?

Yes, a dipole can be induced in a molecule or atom through external electric fields. This is known as an induced dipole and can occur in nonpolar molecules or atoms that have no inherent dipole moment. This is the principle behind techniques such as infrared spectroscopy.

Back