Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dipole pattern that was detected in relation to the fine structure constant. This means that the constant was slightly higher in one direction and slightly lower in the opposite direction. However, there are doubts about the validity of this pattern due to possible overfitting or systematics in the measurements. The term "dipole pattern" refers to the direction and magnitude of the dipole moment, which can indicate the presence of a variation in the fine structure constant. It is also noted that higher moments, such as the quadrupole, could exist but are more difficult to measure.
mikenw
Can someone describe for me the dipole pattern that was detected related to the fine structure constant? This thread talks about that pattern some. What I am trying to understand is how that dipole is oriented relative to the observer on Earth? Are we talking about a toroidal shape with a null(s) pointing in some opposite directions of the sky? Or is it something else? I am having trouble visualizing the actual shape of this pattern to the observer on Earth. Thank you! (first time post here too, hello to everyone! :)

Space news on Phys.org
A dipole means that they measured the fine structure constant to be slightly lower in one specific direction, and slightly higher in the opposite direction.

However, this result is highly unlikely to hold up under scrutiny.

Likes mikenw
Thank you Clanoth for clarifying that!
I am curious why you say "this result is highly unlikely to hold up under scrutiny?" Is there some other more likely explanation for this dipole pattern?

Whether it will hold up or not is a matter of opinion. We shall see. If you want a talk that is relevant watch this:

Likes mikenw
mikenw said:
Thank you Clanoth for clarifying that!
I am curious why you say "this result is highly unlikely to hold up under scrutiny?" Is there some other more likely explanation for this dipole pattern?
That it's a spurious result based upon overfitting of the spectra of heavier elements in quasars.

Likes mikenw and mfb
mikenw said:

While I don't believe that overfitting is the problem (as that can be tested in simulation), real systematics with the measurements have been called into question. It is in my opinion most likely spurious but we will have better data on it soon. The new ESPRESSO spectrograph will be mounted on the VLT in a couple of years, it's a much more carefully designed instrument than UVES or HIRES in terms of wavelength calibration.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.4467

Likes mikenw
Hey folks,
Can you help me understand exactly what is meant by the term "dipole pattern" in this context? Is it simply the fact that one direction measured + and the opposite direction measured - ? As in this illustration:
bpole.jpg

This is throwing me for a loop because dipole field strength (at least in ham radio) goes up as you are at 90 degrees to the actual axis of the dipole, not 180. (180 would represent a + to + or - to - ). I normally think of 90 degrees as being the + to - range of field strength for a radio dipole. And yet the Alpha measurements were showing a 180 degree + to - strength change? Any help anyone can offer is much appreciated! (I am probably I am over-complicating it!).

mikenw said:
Hey folks,
Can you help me understand exactly what is meant by the term "dipole pattern" in this context? Is it simply the fact that one direction measured + and the opposite direction measured - ? As in this illustration:
bpole.jpg

This is throwing me for a loop because dipole field strength (at least in ham radio) goes up as you are at 90 degrees to the actual axis of the dipole, not 180. (180 would represent a + to + or - to - ). I normally think of 90 degrees as being the + to - range of field strength for a radio dipole. And yet the Alpha measurements were showing a 180 degree + to - strength change? Any help anyone can offer is much appreciated! (I am probably I am over-complicating it!).
I think so. As in, they claimed the fine structure constant was slightly higher in one direction compared to the opposite direction. This is averaged over observations in many different directions.

Likes mikenw
You get the 90° if you take the magnitude. In radio transmission, you are interested in intensity only, which depends on amplitude squared. Look at the "+-" direction and you see something (if there is a dipole dependence, which is highly questionable), rotate by 90° and you see nothing.

The dipole moment is defined as an integral over the whole solid angle. It is either zero or non-zero, but never a monopole. It has a direction, roughly telling you in which hemisphere something is larger than in the other. The monopole contribution is the average fine-structure constant. Or simply the fine-structure constant if it is constant.
Higher moments can exist in general, if the pattern is more complicated. If there is any variation, you would expect higher moments (quadrupole and so on), but those are harder to measure.

1. What is the Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant?

The Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant is a theoretical model that attempts to explain the variation of the fine structure constant (α) across the universe. It suggests that the value of α may not be a constant, but instead varies gradually over space and time.

2. What is the significance of the Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant?

The Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant is significant because it challenges the current understanding of the fine structure constant as a fundamental constant of nature. It also has implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the evolution of the universe.

3. How is the Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant measured?

The Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant is measured by analyzing the spectral lines of distant quasars. The wavelengths of these lines are compared to those measured in laboratories on Earth, and any deviations from the expected values may indicate a variation in α.

4. What evidence supports the Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant?

Several studies have found evidence supporting the Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant. In 2015, a team of researchers found a slight dipole-like pattern in the distribution of quasar spectral lines. Additionally, observations of the cosmic microwave background have also shown hints of a dipole in α.

5. How does the Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant impact our understanding of the universe?

If the Dipole pattern for Fine Structure Constant is confirmed, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It may suggest that the laws of physics are not constant throughout space and time, and could potentially lead to new theories and models to explain this variation.