Dirac Notation and Magnitude of Bra's Help

In summary, the conversation is about using Dirac notation to prove the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality in a quantum assignment. The individual discusses their familiarity with Dirac notation and asks for clarification on their simplification of the given equation. They then mention using substitutions to prove the inequality and express uncertainty about their work thus far.
NeedPhysHelp8
Hi all,

I was diving into my 3rd year quantum assignment and I saw the following which I have to use for the rest of the question to prove the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality:

Homework Statement

[tex] || a|x> + b|y> ||^2 [/tex]

I only really learned a bit about Dirac notation last year, so please let me know if this simplification is right.

[tex] ( a|x> + b|y> )^{*}( a|x> + b|y> ) [/tex]
[tex] a^{*}a<x|x> + a^{*}b<x|y> + b^{*}a<y|x> + b^{*}b<y|y> [/tex]

Later it says to make substitutions for [tex] a= -<x|y> , b= <x|x> [/tex] to prove the inequality, but I want to make sure I didn't screw up the very first part above...which I have a feeling I did.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The multiplications with bra's and kets are correctly done.

Related to Dirac Notation and Magnitude of Bra's Help

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used to describe quantum states in quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and uses the symbols "bra" \langle \psi | and "ket" |\psi \rangle to represent the state vector \psi .

2. What is the significance of the magnitude of a bra?

The magnitude of a bra, also known as the norm, represents the probability amplitude of a given quantum state. It is a complex number and is calculated by taking the inner product of the bra with itself. The square of the magnitude gives the probability of measuring the state in that particular state.

3. How is the magnitude of a bra denoted in Dirac notation?

In Dirac notation, the magnitude of a bra is denoted by \langle \psi | \psi \rangle , where \psi is the state vector. This is also known as the "bra-ket" notation and is read as "bra psi, ket psi".

4. How do you find the magnitude of a bra?

To find the magnitude of a bra, you take the inner product of the bra with itself. This involves multiplying the bra by its complex conjugate, which cancels out the imaginary components. The resulting value is the magnitude of the bra and represents the probability amplitude of the state.

5. Can the magnitude of a bra be greater than 1?

No, the magnitude of a bra cannot be greater than 1. This is because it represents the probability amplitude of a state, and probabilities cannot be greater than 1. However, the square of the magnitude can be greater than 1, which would indicate a higher probability of measuring the state in that particular state.