Dirac Notation for Operators: Ambiguity in Expectation Values?

In summary, the notation can be slightly ambiguous when dealing with non-Hermitian operators and it is important to specify the operator explicitly to avoid confusion.
dyn
Hi
If A is a linear operator but not Hermitian then the expectation value of A2 is written as < ψ | A2| ψ >. Now if i write A2 as AA then i have seen the expectation value written as < ψ | A+A| ψ > but if i only apply the operators to the ket , then could i not write it as < ψ | AA | ψ > ? In other words is the notation slightly ambiguous ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
Hi
If A is a linear operator but not Hermitian then the expectation value of A2 is written as < ψ | A2| ψ >. Now if i write A2 as AA then i have seen the expectation value written as < ψ | A+A| ψ > but if i only apply the operators to the ket , then could i not write it as < ψ | AA | ψ > ? In other words is the notation slightly ambiguous ?
Thanks
If A is not Hermitian, then ##AA \neq A^{\dagger} A##, so you can't write it that way.

-Dan

Likes vanhees71
I might be confusing myself here but if A is not Hermitian and A2 = AA and A3 = AAA then how do i write the expectation values of these 2 quantities ?

dyn said:
I might be confusing myself here but if A is not Hermitian and A2 = AA and A3 = AAA then how do i write the expectation values of these 2 quantities ?
The same way you did in the OP:
##\langle A^2 \rangle = \langle \psi \mid A^2 \mid \psi \rangle \equiv \langle \psi \mid AA \mid \psi \rangle##

You would have to calculate ##\mid \phi \rangle = A \mid \psi \rangle##, then ##\mid \zeta \rangle = A \mid \phi \rangle##, then finally ##\langle \psi \mid \zeta \rangle##.

That's as far as you can go until you specify what the operator A looks like.

-Dan

Likes malawi_glenn and dyn
topsquark said:
The same way you did in the OP:
##\langle A^2 \rangle = \langle \psi \mid A^2 \mid \psi \rangle \equiv \langle \psi \mid AA \mid \psi \rangle##

You would have to calculate ##\mid \phi \rangle = A \mid \psi \rangle##, then ##\mid \zeta \rangle = A \mid \phi \rangle##, then finally ##\langle \psi \mid \zeta \rangle##.

That's as far as you can go until you specify what the operator A looks like.

-Dan
Alternatively, you can calculate
$$
\begin{align*}
\ket{\phi} &= A \ket{\psi} \\
\ket{\chi} &= A^\dagger \ket{\psi} \\
\braket{\psi | A^2 | \psi} &= \braket{\chi| \phi}
\end{align*}
$$

Likes topsquark and malawi_glenn
dyn said:
For a pure state, represented by a normalized vector ##|\Psi \rangle## expectation value is
$$\langle f(\hat{A}) = \langle \Psi|f(\hat{A}) \Psi \rangle=\langle f(\hat{A})^{\dagger} \Psi|\Psi \rangle,$$
for an arbitrary function ##f(\hat{A})##. It doesn't matter whether the operator is self-adjoint or not for the identity of the two expressions. Of course, such an operator cannot represent an observable to begin with, and you might argue that it doesn't make sense to call this expression an "expectation value" in the first place.

Likes topsquark

1. What is Dirac notation for operators?

Dirac notation for operators is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent operators, which are mathematical objects that represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is also known as bra-ket notation.

2. What is the ambiguity in expectation values when using Dirac notation for operators?

The ambiguity in expectation values refers to the fact that the same operator can have different representations in Dirac notation, and therefore can lead to different expectation values. This is due to the fact that the notation uses abstract vectors and dual vectors, which can be represented in different bases.

3. How is the ambiguity in expectation values resolved?

The ambiguity in expectation values is resolved by specifying the basis in which the operator is represented. This is usually done by adding a subscript to the operator, indicating the basis in which it is being represented. This ensures that the expectation value is calculated consistently and avoids any confusion or discrepancies.

4. Can Dirac notation for operators be used for any type of operator?

Yes, Dirac notation for operators can be used for any type of operator, as long as it is well-defined and can be represented as a linear transformation on the vector space. This includes both Hermitian and non-Hermitian operators.

5. How is the expectation value of an operator calculated using Dirac notation?

The expectation value of an operator is calculated by taking the inner product of the state vector with the operator and then multiplying by the complex conjugate of the inner product. In Dirac notation, this can be written as ⟨A⟩ = ⟨ψ|A|ψ⟩, where ψ is the state vector and A is the operator.