Dirac notation Schwarz Inequality Proof

In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework equation using Dirac notation, but is lost and needs help understanding what he's doing. He mentions that a complex conjugate of a complex number is its complex conjugate, but is unsure how to get there. He eventually solves the equation using complex multiplications and divisions, and realizes that the first term is the inner product of a bra and a ket.
interdinghy

Homework Statement

This isn't really a problem so much as me not being able to see how a proof has proceeded. I've only just today learned about Dirac notation so I'm not too good at actually working with it. The proof in the book is:

|Z> = |V> - <W|V>/|W|^2|W>

<Z|Z> = <V - ( <W|V>/|W|^2 ) W| V - ( <W|V>/|W|^2 ) W> =

<V|V> - ( <W|V><V|W>/|W|^2 ) - ( <W|V>*<W|V>/|W|^2 ) + ( <W|V>*<W|V><W|W>/|W|^4| ) >= 0

This last step has me completely lost, and if someone could explain it I'd really appreciate it. It looks like he's pulled out the <V| and |V> and combined them to get <V|V>, but I don't get where the minus sign comes from, or how he gets any of the rest of the equation, so I'm assuming I'm wrong about where the <V|V> comes from.

I'm deeply sorry about the notation here, I typed this on a phone or I would've used LaTeX.

Homework Equations

<Z|Z> >= 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Mentioned in the first section.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you know that

[tex]
|Z\rangle = |V\rangle - \frac{\langle W|V\rangle}{|W|^2} |W\rangle
[/tex]

So what do you think [itex]\langle Z|[/itex] equals?

kreil said:
So you know that

[tex]
[/tex]

[itex]\langle Z|[/itex] should just equal [tex]
\langle V| - \frac{\langle W|V\rangle}{|W|^2} \langle W|
[/tex]

right? So if I look at [itex]\langle Z|Z \rangle[/itex], I have to distribute, but I can't see how he's getting the terms he's getting, namely because I don't think I'm too comfortable with Dirac notation yet.

1: [itex]\langle V | V \rangle = \langle V | V \rangle[/itex] obviously,

2: [itex]\langle V | - \frac{\langle W|V\rangle}{|W|^2} W \rangle[/itex] seems like it should equal [itex]- \frac{\langle W|V\rangle \langle V|W \rangle}{|W|^2}[/itex]

3: Probably the most confusing term for me:

[itex]\langle - \frac{\langle V|W \rangle}{|W|^2}W|V \rangle[/itex]

This seems to me like it should just be [itex]- \frac{\langle V|W \rangle \langle W|V \rangle}{|W|^2}[/itex] but this term doesn't appear anywhere in his final formulation really. I mean I guess [itex]\langle V|W \rangle[/itex] is equivalent to his [itex]\langle W|V \rangle ^*[/itex], but why does he get that conjugate instead of the [itex]\langle V|W \rangle[/itex] that I got?

4: then [itex]\langle - \frac{\langle W|V\rangle}{|W|^2} W|- \frac{\langle W|V\rangle}{|W|^2} W \rangle[/itex] is the first term where I think I'm getting confused. For some reason the term he gets from this has a complex conjugate in it, which I assume means he's moving [itex]| - \frac{\langle W | V \rangle}{|W|^2} \rangle[/itex] to the bra side, which I assume makes the top term a complex conjugate, leaving me with [itex]\langle - \frac{\langle W|V\rangle}{|W|^2}\frac{\langle W|V\rangle ^*}{|W|^2} W| W \rangle = \frac{ \langle W|V \rangle \langle W|V \rangle ^* \langle W|W \rangle}{|W|^4}[/itex]

At the end, my final answer would look like: [itex]\langle V | V \rangle - \frac{\langle W|V\rangle \langle V|W \rangle}{|W|^2} - \frac{\langle V|W \rangle \langle W|V \rangle}{|W|^2} + \frac{ \langle W|V \rangle \langle W|V \rangle ^* \langle W|W \rangle}{|W|^4}[/itex]

This seems like it may at least be equivalent to his formulation based on what I said in 3, but even this took kind of a mental leap for me in part 4 with moving a term over to the bra side. Is that a correct step? If so, why?

Thanks so much for any help. I'm losing sleep over this.

No problem, anyone that gets a science degree loses some sleep over a problem or two, so I know what boat you're in!

Does it help if I say that,

[itex]
|Z\rangle = \langle Z|^{\dagger}
[/itex]
[itex]
\langle Z| = |Z\rangle ^{\dagger}
[/itex]

and that,

[itex]
\langle W |V \rangle ^{\dagger} = \langle W | V \rangle ^* = \langle V|W\rangle ...?
[/itex]

(In other words, the inner product of a bra and a ket is a complex number, and the Hermitian conjugate of a complex number is simply its complex conjugate.)

This all means that,

[tex]
\langle Z| = |Z\rangle^{\dagger} = \left( |V\rangle - \frac{\langle W|V\rangle}{|W|^2} |W\rangle \right) ^{\dagger} =\left( \langle V | - \frac{\langle W|V \rangle ^*}{|W|^2} \langle W| \right)
[/tex]

So,

[tex]
\langle Z | Z \rangle = \left( \langle V | - \frac{\langle W|V \rangle ^*}{|W|^2} \langle W| \right) \left( |V\rangle - \frac{\langle W|V\rangle}{|W|^2} |W\rangle \right)
[/tex]
See also,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra–ket_notation#Inner_products_and_bras

Yes, that clears it up completely, thank you.

I can now actually see the part in the book where the asterisk denoting that the initial setup involved a complex conjugate has been worn away due to shoddy printing, so I feel a lot better about this whole thing in general now.

Thanks so much!

kreil said:
So you know that

[tex]
[/tex]

Hmm.. I don't get why the proof starts with that |Z>
Mind to explain it, please? thanks :)

Towards the end they consider, <W|V><V|W> = |<V|W>|, which I cannot understand. Please explain someone.

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used to describe quantum states in quantum mechanics. It was introduced by physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in quantum mechanics to represent wavefunctions, operators, and measurements.

2. What is the Schwarz inequality in Dirac notation?

The Schwarz inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, is a mathematical inequality that relates the inner product of two vectors to their lengths. In Dirac notation, it is expressed as ||^2 ≤ , where represents the inner product of vectors x and y.

3. How is the Schwarz inequality used in Dirac notation?

The Schwarz inequality is used in Dirac notation to prove important properties in quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the completeness of quantum states. It is also used in the proof of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. What is the proof of the Schwarz inequality in Dirac notation?

The proof of the Schwarz inequality in Dirac notation involves using the properties of inner products, such as linearity and positivity, to manipulate the inequality ||^2 ≤ until it is reduced to a known inequality. This proof is commonly used in quantum mechanics textbooks and courses.

5. Why is the Schwarz inequality important in quantum mechanics?

The Schwarz inequality is important in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental mathematical inequality that helps to explain the uncertainty principle and other important concepts in quantum physics. It also allows for the calculation of bounds on the precision of measurements and the completeness of quantum states.