Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac's postulations and QM

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1
    Hello Friends,

About Dirac's postulation about non conmutative operators and the scalar function with 4 elements, some questions:

why this function is a scalar function? Couldn't it be a four-dimensional vector? Why?

Best Reggards.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which scalar function with 4 elements are you talking about?Please make a specific reference.I have no idea what you're referring to.

4. Feb 15, 2005 #3

Hello Dextercioby and forum,

How are u? I'm agreed to re-read u!!!

The question is this:

In Dirac's [tex] i \frac{\partial \Psi} {\partial t} =[\alfa (p-eA) + \beta m + e \O ] \Psi [/tex] or Schrödinger's [tex] i\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t} = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\Psi}{\partial x^{2}} + V\Psi[/tex], the wave function is a Hilbert Space wave, I think. Are they vectors or scalars?
    The Hilbert Space is a vectorial, or scalar space???¿?

My best reggards.
  5. Feb 15, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.A Hilbert space is a complete VECTOR SPACE with scalar product over the field of complex numbers...

2.Schroedinger's wave-function
    [tex] \Psi (\vec{r},t) [/tex]
    is a vector from the Hilbert space [tex] \mathbb{L}^{2}(\mathbb{R}^{3})\otimes \mathbb{R} [/tex].

3.Dirac's field
    [tex] \Psi^{\alpha} (x^{\mu}) [/tex]
    is essentially a 4-spinor (Dirac spinor,if u prefer) and is an element of the vector space of the representation [itex] (\frac{1}{2},0) \oplus (0,\frac{1}{2}) [/itex] of the restricted Lorentz group.The algebric structure determined by these spinors is actually a Grassmann algebra with involution over the vector space mentioned earlier...

Once you quantize Dirac's field,the classical spinors become operators and that's another (quite complicated ) story...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. Feb 16, 2005 #5

Thanks you another time!!! :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?