Direct calculation of the propagator

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the propagator in the context of a time dependent potential. While the traditional understanding is that the propagator is based on the expansion of the time evolution operator, it is pointed out that in the presence of time dependent potential, the evolution operator is a function of both initial and final times. This is further elaborated on with the use of the causal time-ordering symbol and the general interaction picture of time-evolution.
SamuraiJack
Hello all,

I have a fundamental problem with the concept of the propagator regarding to time dependent potential. If the propagator is based on the expansion of the time evolution operator, how can it act on initial wave function in the presence of time dependent potential? You cannot use the evolution operator with these kind of potentials. I can accept the solution of Feynman path integrals, because in this frame, the time is split to many short intervals in which the time evolution operator is valid. However, can you still calculate the propagator by direct calculation?

Thanks, The Samurai.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, you can form an evolution operator even in the case of time dependent potential. The only difference is that if there's explicit time-dependence in the Hamiltonian, the evolution operator is a function of both initial and final times, ##U(t_{1},t_{2})##, instead of only the time difference, ##U(t_{2}-t_{1})##.

Hi Hilbert, thank you for your response. I'm still not sure if the propagator is still valid though. When the propagator is calculated directly, we employ ##\langle x|e^{-iH(t_{1}-t_{2})/\hbar}|x'\rangle##. Can we calculate it by ##\langle x|U(t_{1},t_{2})|x'\rangle##?

No we don't :-).

Rather we solve
[tex]\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \hat{U}(t,t')=\hat{H}(t) \hat{U}(t,t'), \quad \hat{U}(t,t)=1[/tex]
(in the Schrödinger picture of time evolution).

The formal solution is
[tex]\hat{U}(t,t') = \mathcal{T}_c \exp \left [-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar}\int_{t'}^{t} \mathrm{d} t'' \hat{H}(t'') \right ],[/tex]
where [itex]\mathcal{T}_c[/itex] is the causal time-ordering symbol. For details, see my QFT manuscript (Sect. 1.3)

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Note that there the general interaction picture of time-evolution is discussed!

1. What is the propagator in scientific terms?

The propagator is a mathematical function used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time. It represents the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one position to another in a given amount of time.

2. How is the propagator calculated?

The propagator is calculated using a direct calculation method, also known as the Feynman path integral. This involves summing over all possible paths a particle can take between two points in spacetime and taking into account the phase of each path.

3. What is the significance of the propagator in quantum mechanics?

The propagator plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle's position and momentum at any given time. It also provides a link between the wave function and observable quantities, making it an essential tool for understanding quantum systems.

4. What are the limitations of direct calculation of the propagator?

The direct calculation of the propagator can be computationally expensive and time-consuming, especially for complex systems. It also requires a deep understanding of quantum mechanics and advanced mathematical techniques, making it challenging for non-experts to use.

5. How is the propagator used in practical applications?

The propagator is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as quantum computing, quantum chemistry, and particle physics. It is also essential in the development of new technologies, such as quantum cryptography and quantum sensors.