Direct Proof of Div, Grad, and Curl Operator Identities

• Thread starter unscientific
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl Grad
In summary, "div" in "div, grad, curl" stands for divergence and represents the flux of a vector field. "Grad" stands for gradient and measures the rate of change, while "curl" indicates the rotational behavior. These operators are related through the fundamental theorem of calculus and are important in many fields for analyzing and solving problems involving vector fields.
unscientific

Homework Statement

16ixf0z.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (c), I showed that the tripple cross product = 2a using einstein notation. Then, I showed that 2∇(a.r) = 2a which is the same as LHS. I don't think this is as elegant as it can get..

How do I prove it directly? I've looked up some operator identities:
d5b8119de472d7a6d75c1672e93ccd34.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is fine. I would have done the same thing. I know what you mean though. It feels like there should be some kind of shortcut method.

Related to Direct Proof of Div, Grad, and Curl Operator Identities

1. What is the meaning of "div" in "div, grad, curl"?

The term "div" refers to the divergence of a vector field. It represents the amount of flux flowing out of a given point in the field.

2. How is "grad" different from "div" in "div, grad, curl"?

"Grad" stands for gradient and it represents the rate of change of a field in a particular direction. In contrast, "div" represents the overall flow of a field at a given point.

3. What does "curl" mean in "div, grad, curl"?

The term "curl" refers to the rotational behavior of a vector field. It indicates how much a vector field is rotating at a given point.

4. How are "div", "grad", and "curl" related?

"Div", "grad", and "curl" are all mathematical operators used to describe vector fields in three-dimensional space. They are related through the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the gradient of a scalar field is equal to the divergence of its corresponding vector field.

5. Why are "div", "grad", and "curl" important in vector calculus?

These three operators are used to describe and analyze vector fields in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are essential tools for understanding the behavior of vector fields and solving complex problems in these fields.