Proving Perpendicular Vectors with Direction Angles

In summary: That gives you an equation involving the direction angles and the magnitudes of the two vectors. The direction angles are given by the direction cosines, which are defined as the cosines of the angles the vectors make with the coordinate axes. So the direction angles are given constants, and the magnitudes are given constants. The equation involving these constants is what you are trying to prove. If you get an equation in which you can replace the direction angles with the direction cosines, you will be done. What equation can you write that involves |u|, |v|, and the direction cosines involving u and v?In summary, the problem involves proving that the dot product of two vectors with given direction angles is equal to 0,
vertciel
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance for your help!

---

Homework Statement

10. A vector [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] with direction angles A1, B1, and Y1, is perpendicular to a vector [itex] \vec{v} [/itex] with direction angles A2, B2, and Y2. Prove that:
[itex] \cos A1 \cos B2 + \cos B1 \cos B2 + \cos Y1 \cos Y2 = 0[/itex].

---

The Attempt at a Solution

I let [itex] \vec{u} = [a, b, c], \vec{v} = [x, y, z] [/itex].

Since these are perpendicular, therefore:

[itex] \vec{u} \bullet \vec{v} = ax + by + cz = 0 [/itex].

Also, [itex] a, b, c, x, y, z [/itex] would all correspond to their direction cosines.

However, I do not understand how I can prove the above statement with these facts. For example, would [itex] \cos A1 \cos A2 = 0 [/itex] simply because they are the components of two vectors which are parallel to each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is a direction angle? i assume if the vector is length r then a = r.cosA1 etc...?

then just put them in your dot product & you're pretty much there

vertciel said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance for your help!

---

Homework Statement

10. A vector [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] with direction angles A1, B1, and Y1, is perpendicular to a vector [itex] \vec{v} [/itex] with direction angles A2, B2, and Y2. Prove that:
[itex] \cos A1 \cos B2 + \cos B1 \cos B2 + \cos Y1 \cos Y2 = 0[/itex].

---

The Attempt at a Solution

I let [itex] \vec{u} = [a, b, c], \vec{v} = [x, y, z] [/itex].

Since these are perpendicular, therefore:

[itex] \vec{u} \bullet \vec{v} = ax + by + cz = 0 [/itex].

Also, [itex] a, b, c, x, y, z [/itex] would all correspond to their direction cosines.

However, I do not understand how I can prove the above statement with these facts. For example, would [itex] \cos A1 \cos A2 = 0 [/itex] simply because they are the components of two vectors which are parallel to each other?

The whole point of "direction cosines" is that if a vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] has direction cosines A1, B1, Y1, (I imagine that in your book those are [itex]\Alpha[/itex], [itex]\Beta[/itex], and [itex]\Gamma[/itex] and that you are told that they are the cosines of the angles the vector makes with the x, y, and z axes, respectively) Then [itex]\vec{v}= A1\vec{i}+ B1\vec{j}+ Y1\vec{k}[/itex]. That makes this problem simple.

Thank you for your response.

Would you mind elaborating on the proof?

I thought that the direction cosines themselves were the unit vectors, so how would [itex] \cos A1 \cos A2 = 0 [/itex]? Shouldn't the dot product of these direction cosines = 0?

Could anyone please offer an explanation for how to prove the above?

Thank you!

The direction cosines aren't unit vectors. They are the coefficients of the unit vectors. In terms of the direction angles, u=|u|*(cos(A1)*i+cos(B1)*j+cos(Y1)*k) and v=|v|*(cos(A2)*i+cos(B2)*j+cos(Y2)*k). And, yes, u.v=0. Substitute the expressions for the vectors into the dot product.

Thanks for your reply, Dick.

I have:

[tex] \vec{u} = |\vec{u}| \cos A1 \hat{i} + |\vec{u}| \cos B1 \hat{j} + |\vec{u}| \cos Y1 \hat{k} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v} = |\vec{v}| \cos A2 \hat{i} + |\vec{v}| \cos B2 \hat{j} + |\vec{v}| \cos Y2 \hat{k} [/tex]

If I dot these two expressions on the RS, I do not see how I would get 0 as the final expression.

Could you please explain more?

Your are GIVEN that the two vectors are perpendicular. If you dot them you will get an expression involving the cosines and |u| and |v|. You can set that equal to zero because you are GIVEN u.v=0.

Related to Proving Perpendicular Vectors with Direction Angles

1. What are direction angles?

Direction angles, also known as direction cosines, are the angles between a vector and the coordinate axes in a given coordinate system. They provide a way to represent the direction of a vector in a geometrically intuitive manner.

2. Why is it important to understand direction angles?

Understanding direction angles is crucial in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and navigation. It allows for the analysis and manipulation of vectors in a clear and concise manner, making many complex problems easier to solve.

3. How are direction angles calculated?

Direction angles can be calculated using the dot product between the vector and each of the coordinate axes. The direction angle for each axis is equal to the arccosine of the dot product divided by the magnitude of the vector.

4. What is the relationship between direction angles and trigonometry?

Direction angles are closely related to trigonometry, as they involve the use of cosines and angles. In fact, the direction angles of a vector can be represented as the cosine of its angle with each coordinate axis, making it a useful tool in solving trigonometric problems.

5. Can direction angles be negative?

Yes, direction angles can be negative. This occurs when the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the corresponding coordinate axis. For example, a vector pointing in the negative x-direction would have a negative x-direction angle.