Buoyant Force Direction in the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment

In summary, the direction of the buoyant force is opposite to the weight and does not change when electrical and drag forces are present. The apparent weight equation is W = (4/3)πr³g(ρ-ρₐᵢᵣ).
Juan Pablo
What's the direction of the buoyant force? I'm trying to find the equation for the charge on the Millikan oil drop experiment. It requires two equilibrium equations but I'm not sure which sign should the buoyant force have.

My internet searches neither my book have been able to answer this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know the buoyant force acts in the opposite direction than the one of the weight.

Yes, but I don't know if the fact that there are electrical and drag forces changes anything. According to Wikipedia the apparent weight equation is:

[tex]W = \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 g(\rho - \rho_{air}) [/tex]

I don't think it changes something, but I prefer to wait for more experienced people to help you.

1. What is the direction of buoyant force?

The direction of buoyant force is always upwards, perpendicular to the surface of a fluid, regardless of the shape or size of the object.

2. How is the direction of buoyant force determined?

The direction of buoyant force is determined by the density of the fluid and the volume of the object immersed in it. The greater the density of the fluid, the greater the buoyant force will be. Similarly, the more volume the object takes up in the fluid, the more buoyant force it will experience.

3. Does the direction of buoyant force change with depth?

No, the direction of buoyant force remains the same regardless of the depth. It will always act in an upward direction, perpendicular to the surface of the fluid.

4. How does the direction of buoyant force affect floating objects?

The upward direction of buoyant force is what allows objects to float in a fluid. If the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object, it will float. If the weight is greater, the object will sink. This is why objects with greater volume, such as a ship, can float even if they are made of heavy materials like steel.

5. Can the direction of buoyant force be changed?

The direction of buoyant force is a fundamental property of fluids and cannot be changed. However, the overall force acting on an object can be changed by altering the object's density or volume, which will affect the amount of buoyant force it experiences.