1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of cartesian vector

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if the alpha is larger than 90 degree ( which means the resultant F is lean towards -x axis , then the angle between the Ax and the line from Ax to A will be less than 90 , am i right ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. It will be exactly 90##^\circ##

(the 90##^\circ## as indicated in figure 2-26 (a) )

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3
    why , i cant visualize it??

5. Oct 13, 2015 #4
    If the force is lean towards negative x axis , it means the angle between the force and positive x -axis is more than 90 degree, right ? then how is it possible for it to remain 90 degree?

6. Oct 13, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You were talking about the line from Ax to A, not about the line from the origin to A (i.e. ##\vec A## itself).

7. Oct 13, 2015 #6
    ya , i mean the line from Ax to A, not about the line from the origin to A (i.e. A⃗ itself).
    if the force is lean towards the negative x-axis then the , we would have three line , right , namely the line joining origin to Ax , A(which is lean towards negative x axis ) , and a line which join A to negative x-axis , right ? if it is so , then the i an undersatnd why the angle is 90 degree. if it so , the triangle formed is at opposite of the current one .

8. Oct 14, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you've got it all right and correct, just that the wording in post #1 was rather unfortunate.
    With nowadays visualization possibilities it's almost a stone-age approach to put things in words, but let's do it anyway:

let's look in the blue plane of figure 2-26 (a) for the case ##\alpha \in [\pi/2, \pi]## where all the angles in our story are
    [edit] I mean to say that all the angles are in that plane. Sorry for the ambiguity.​

upload_2015-10-14_11-42-27.png

so the vertical line Ayz is in the yz plane and that plane is perpendicular to the x axis.

and as you can see the line from Ax to A (the green line) is parallel to that plane and therefore also perpendicular to the x axis. Hence my 90 ##^\circ##.

You of course in your post #1 meant to refer to the angle between ##\vec A## and ##\vec A_x## which as you can see is ##\pi-\alpha ## and thereby in the range 0 to 90##^\circ##.

Note that I forgot to draw the arrow above ##\vec A_x## and ##\vec A_{yz}##. Nobody is perfect, be we keep trying.
    To be specific: in ##\vec A_x = A_x\, \hat\imath\ ##, ##\ A_x## is a number (negative for the alpha in the picture: ##A_x = |\vec A | \cos\alpha##​

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted