Direction of force using right hand rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field and force in a given scenario. The rule involves using the thumb to indicate the direction of current, the fingers to show the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm to indicate the direction of the force. It is noted that there are variations on the right hand rule, and different methods may be used to find the direction of force. Resources are provided for further information on the right hand rule.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5084/71282075fy0.jpg

Homework Equations

There are many variations on the right hand rule, but I'm most confortable with the following. Current is in the direction of thumb, B field is in direction of fingers and F shoots out of the palm

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the magnitude easily using F=BiLsin(theta). I get 3N. Can someone just confirm that theta is the angle between B and i? I'm not sure how to find the direction with the right hand rule in such a case (where there is an angle between B and I). For reference, the answer is into the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
t_n_p said:
Can someone just confirm that theta is the angle between B and i?
Sounds good to me
t_n_p said:
I'm not sure how to find the direction with the right hand rule in such a case (where there is an angle between B and I). For reference, the answer is into the page.
This right-hand rule tells you the direction of the magnetic field created by the wire, not the direction of the force on the wire. See this page <http://www.molecularexpressions.com/electromag/electricity/generators/index.html> for more information. The rule you need is in figure 9.

left hand rule? never heard of such a thing!
Are you aware of any other methods to find direction of force using right hand rules?

Here are two links that may help with the right hand rule:
http://www.physics.brocku.ca/faculty/sternin/120/slides/rh-rule.html
http://physics.syr.edu/courses/video/RightHandRule/

I always use the version that's shown (in the first link) in the right most middle diagram--where the fingers curl from one vector to the other and the thumb gives you the force. The second link shows videos of someone actually using it in every possible case!

t_n_p said:
I'm not sure how to find the direction with the right hand rule in such a case (where there is an angle between B and I). For reference, the answer is into the page.

Go ahead and use the right hand rule that you wrote... you should get your palm facing into the page...

1. What is the right hand rule and how does it relate to the direction of force?

The right hand rule is a method used in physics to determine the direction of a force acting on an object. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current or motion, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, then your palm will face the direction of the force.

2. When should the right hand rule be used?

The right hand rule is used when dealing with forces and motion in a magnetic field. It helps determine the direction of the force acting on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field, or the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field.

3. Can the right hand rule be used for any type of force?

No, the right hand rule is specifically used for forces that are perpendicular to a magnetic field. It cannot be used for forces that are parallel to the magnetic field.

4. Is the right hand rule a reliable method for determining the direction of force?

Yes, the right hand rule is a reliable method that follows the laws of physics. It has been widely used by scientists and engineers in various fields of study.

5. Are there any variations of the right hand rule?

Yes, there are variations of the right hand rule that are used for different scenarios. For example, the left hand rule is used to determine the direction of the force on a charged particle moving through an electric field. The corkscrew rule is also a variation used to determine the direction of angular velocity in circular motion.