1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of force using right hand rule

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

There are many variations on the right hand rule, but I'm most confortable with the following. Current is in the direction of thumb, B field is in direction of fingers and F shoots out of the palm

3. The attempt at a solution

I can find the magnitude easily using F=BiLsin(theta). I get 3N. Can someone just confirm that theta is the angle between B and i? I'm not sure how to find the direction with the right hand rule in such a case (where there is an angle between B and I). For reference, the answer is into the page.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds good to me
    This right-hand rule tells you the direction of the magnetic field created by the wire, not the direction of the force on the wire. See this page <http://www.molecularexpressions.com/electromag/electricity/generators/index.html> for more information. The rule you need is in figure 9.

4. Oct 15, 2007 #3
    left hand rule? never heard of such a thing!
    Are you aware of any other methods to find direction of force using right hand rules?

5. Oct 15, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

6. Oct 15, 2007 #5

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Go ahead and use the right hand rule that you wrote... you should get your palm facing into the page...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?