Direction of max strain from Mohr's circle

In summary, the online calculator that they are using does not give correct results when θ is not 45 degrees.
GBA13

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am doing some things with Mohr's circle. I am trying to find the direction of max strain but I am a bit confused. How can I do this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I always assumed that the max strain occurs at 90O from the normal axis or 45O in real life. But I used a online calculator and got an angle of about 40O so that means that it isn't always at 45 like I thought.

Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do know that the angle plotted on the Mohr's circle diagram is 2θ, not θ? So the maximum shear stress is at 2θ=90 degrees, indicating that the maximum shear stress occurs on a plane at 45 degrees to the maximum and minimum principal directions of strain. We're not familiar with your online calculator, so we don't know what it is doing. Does it give zero shear stress at 2θ=0 and 2θ=180 degrees?

Chet

Hi Chet. Yes I am aware of that thanks. I have found that the calculator uses the equation tan2θ = - (εxx - εyy) / 2εxy. Is that a valid equation? I though, as you said, that the direction of max shear strain is at 45 degrees - I thought that didn't change.

GBA13 said:
Hi Chet. Yes I am aware of that thanks. I have found that the calculator uses the equation tan2θ = - (εxx - εyy) / 2εxy. Is that a valid equation? I though, as you said, that the direction of max shear strain is at 45 degrees - I thought that didn't change.
In the analysis that they are using, θ is not the angle that the plane of interest makes with the maximum principal stress. It is the angle that the plane of interest makes with the x coordinate direction (which is not a principal direction). See this link and the figure in the section entitled "Drawing Mohr's Circle." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohr's_circle

Chet

Hi there,

The direction of maximum strain can be determined by using Mohr's circle and locating the point on the circle that represents the maximum strain. This point will be located on the circumference of the circle and its angle from the normal axis will give you the direction of maximum strain.

To do this, you will need to plot your strain values on the Mohr's circle and draw a line connecting them. The point where this line intersects the circle will represent the maximum strain. You can then use a protractor to measure the angle between this point and the normal axis to determine the direction of maximum strain.

It is important to note that the direction of maximum strain can vary depending on the orientation of the stress or strain axes. So, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct axes for your problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the significance of the direction of maximum strain in Mohr's circle?

The direction of maximum strain in Mohr's circle represents the principal strain direction, which is the direction in which the material experiences the greatest amount of deformation under stress. It is an important factor in analyzing the behavior and stability of materials under different loading conditions.

2. How is the direction of maximum strain determined in Mohr's circle?

The direction of maximum strain is determined by drawing a line tangent to the Mohr's circle at the point of maximum strain. This tangent line represents the direction of the principal stress, which is perpendicular to the principal strain direction.

3. Can the direction of maximum strain be negative in Mohr's circle?

No, the direction of maximum strain in Mohr's circle can never be negative. It is always a positive value and is measured in a counterclockwise direction from the horizontal axis.

4. How does the direction of maximum strain relate to the principal stress?

The direction of maximum strain is perpendicular to the principal stress. This means that the principal stress acts in the same direction as the maximum strain, causing the material to deform in that direction.

5. Why is the direction of maximum strain important in material testing?

The direction of maximum strain is important in material testing because it helps determine the material's strength and its ability to withstand stress and deformations. It also provides valuable information for engineers and scientists to design structures and materials that can withstand different loading conditions and prevent failure.