Direction of Momentum Problem

In summary, when traveling north in a car at constant velocity, the angular momentum vector for one of the tires would point towards the East. However, if the brakes are slammed, the angular acceleration vector would point towards the West. This is determined using the right hand rule, with the fingers curling in the direction of motion and the thumb indicating the direction of the vector.
baseballer

Homework Statement

A) You travel north down a road in a car at constant velocity. In which direction (N, S, E, W, up, down) does the angular momentum vector point for one of the tires.

B) Same situation. If you slam on the brakes in which direction does the angular acceleration vector point for one of the tires. (N, S, E, W, up, down)

Homework Equations

L = r x p

The Attempt at a Solution

For A, I think it's East because of the right hand rule. My fingers would be curling forward and my thumb would be pointing to the Left.

For B, I'm not sure. I guess it would be West just because acceleration would be negative and in the opposite direction of A.

Physics news on Phys.org
baseballer said:
For A, I think it's East because of the right hand rule. My fingers would be curling forward and my thumb would be pointing to the Left.
You think left is East?

Sorry about that. I meant West for A and East for B

baseballer said:
Sorry about that. I meant West for A and East for B
Sounds good to me.

But I'm not completely confident in that answer.

Your answer for A is correct. The angular momentum vector for one of the tires would point in the East direction.

For B, you are correct in thinking that the angular acceleration vector would be in the opposite direction of the angular velocity vector. Since the car is moving in the North direction, the angular velocity vector would be pointing North. When you slam on the brakes, the car experiences a deceleration, causing the angular velocity to decrease. This means that the angular acceleration vector would be pointing South, in the opposite direction of the angular velocity vector. So, for B, the answer would be South.

1. What is the "Direction of Momentum Problem"?

The "Direction of Momentum Problem" is a concept in physics that deals with the direction of a moving object's momentum. It is often used in collisions or other situations where multiple objects are interacting with each other.

2. How do you calculate the direction of momentum?

To calculate the direction of momentum, you must first determine the direction of the object's velocity. Then, using the equation p = mv (momentum equals mass times velocity), you can determine the direction of the momentum vector. This vector will point in the same direction as the velocity vector.

3. Why is the direction of momentum important in physics?

The direction of momentum is important in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of moving objects. By knowing the direction of an object's momentum, we can predict how it will interact with other objects and how its motion will change over time.

4. What happens to the direction of momentum in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the direction of momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. However, the individual objects involved may change directions as they exchange momentum with each other.

5. How does the direction of momentum affect the outcome of a collision?

The direction of momentum can greatly impact the outcome of a collision. If two objects have equal and opposite momenta, they will come to a stop after colliding. However, if one object has a significantly greater momentum than the other, it will continue to move forward after the collision, potentially causing damage or further interactions with other objects.