1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction Vector for Lattices

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a cubic crystal lattice:

The intercepts of a plane are -1, 1, and 2 along the x, y, and z axes, respectively. The Miller index is (!2 2 1). Find the direction vector normal to the plane.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In my book it states that a cubic lattice will have the same value for the direction vector if the crystal is cubic. "a plane and the direction normal to the plane have precisely the same indices" I would then be lead to believe that the direction normal should be [ !2 2 1]

However, according to the book, "The direction vector has projections of 2a, a, and 0 along the x, y, and z coordinate axes, respectively. The Miller indices for the direction are then [210].

This is an example problem but it makes no sense to me. Can anyone clear up this discrepancy? It seems to me like this may be a typo, but I don't have enough knowledge to say one way or the other.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?