1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional derivative tangent to a curve

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given xz^2-yz+cos(xy)=2 which defines z implicitly in terms of x and y, find the directional derivative of z in the direction of the tangent to the curve y=x^2+2x-1 at the point (0,1) in the direction of decreasing x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm fairly positive I just take the negative of the gradient of z multiplied by the unit vector of the tangent of the curve, all at the point. I have the gradient of z but what is the unit vector of the tangent? I think the tangent would be 2x+2 but I know it has to be divided by something to be a unit vector. This is where my notes become inconsistent and I'm not sure what to do

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you draw in the tangent vector to the curve, you should be able to see that [itex]\tan \theta = dy/dx[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the vector makes with the horizontal axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook