Disadvantages and working of ROM

• Thread starter johncena
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the uses, advantages, disadvantages, and working of ROM (Read Only Memory) in simple English. The person asking the question is redirected to a Wikipedia article and is encouraged to ask specific questions for clarification. The topic of random access is also brought up and the person is prompted to define it and use a datasheet for a typical ROM to answer their question.
johncena
Will anyone explain to me the uses,advantages,disadvantages and working of ROM(Read Only Memory) in simple English?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
johncena said:
Will anyone explain to me the uses,advantages,disadvantages and working of ROM(Read Only Memory) in simple English?

Thanks in advance.

No, we don't do your homework for you. Read the wikipedia article, and if you have specific things that you don't understand about it, post the specific questions here and we'll try to give you some hints to clear up your understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_only_memory

Is ROM random access ?

johncena said:
Is ROM random access ?

I could give you the answer, but if this is a homework question, then I'd be doing your homework for you. Instead, can you define random access for me? Random access as opposed to what kind of access?

Once you define random access, you can use a datasheet for a typical ROM to answer your question. Like the 27C512 ROM, for example:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/DOC0015.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

What is ROM and how does it work?

ROM stands for Read Only Memory and is a type of computer memory that can only be read from, not written to. It is used to store permanent data or instructions that do not need to be changed, such as the computer's startup instructions.

What are the disadvantages of using ROM?

One major disadvantage of ROM is that it cannot be modified or updated. This means that if there are any errors or changes that need to be made to the data or instructions stored in ROM, the entire chip would need to be replaced. Additionally, since the data in ROM is fixed, it may become outdated as technology advances.

How is ROM different from RAM?

ROM and RAM are both types of computer memory, but they serve different purposes. ROM is used for permanent storage of data that does not need to be changed, while RAM is used for temporary storage of data that is actively being used by the computer. Additionally, RAM can be written to and updated, while ROM is read-only.

What are the different types of ROM?

There are several types of ROM, including Mask ROM, PROM, EPROM, and EEPROM. Mask ROM is created by the manufacturer and cannot be changed, while the other types can be programmed with data once or multiple times. PROM can only be programmed once, while EPROM and EEPROM can be erased and reprogrammed multiple times.

What are some common uses of ROM?

ROM is commonly used for storing the computer's BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) and firmware, which are necessary for the computer to start up. It is also used for storing video game cartridges and other electronic devices that require permanent data storage.