Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disappearing Posts?

1. Mar 24, 2017 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    Sorry if this is not the right forum for this. I have the impression that my post total somehow recently decreased by some 200+ posts. I remember the count was at around 2350. Then now I am seeing it down at 2156. Could anyone suggest something here please?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Mar 25, 2017 #3
    I can't think of how this could have happened, but I run stat cache rebuilder to make sure all numbers are up to date.

5. Mar 25, 2017 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I lost 500+ just recently --- you're from my "era," and it's just one of "those things" tied to the recent "purges" in the politics fora.

6. Mar 25, 2017 #5
    Bingo, thanks for reminding me. Those posts from the Current Event forum and past iterations, were moved to GD and now are not counted to your total.

7. Mar 25, 2017 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So will I get another trophy when I hit 20,000 posts again?

8. Mar 25, 2017 #7
    Good question :biggrin:

9. Mar 25, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Those trophies just consider that you satisfied the condition at some point.

I could watch that when Greg adjusted the trophies that depend on the like count after we found a bug with them. Greg, micromass and I got the (now) 3000 trophy earlier than the 2000 trophy, at that time we all didn't have 3000, but nothing happened when we got them again.

10. Mar 25, 2017 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So they are level-triggered and not edge-triggered?

11. Mar 25, 2017 #10

mfb

2016 Award

If you make a post (or visit the forum in general? Not sure when exactly) the forum just checks if you satisfy the conditions for a trophy that you don't have already. If yes, you get it.

See all the trophies given in September 20, 2014, where the system was introduced. All frequent posters back then got trophies for their first post, first 100 posts, first 250 posts, ..., first like, ... that day.

12. Mar 25, 2017 #11

berkeman

They are Latching. :smile:

13. Mar 27, 2017 #12

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't notice this time but I guess mine went down as well. I could have sworn that I was around 17 or 18 hundred but now I'm below 1500.

14. Mar 28, 2017 #13
    Interesting. I haven't noticed my post count go down, but have sometimes noticed that my post count doesn't go up after a post. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this?
    EDIT: For example, this post did not count for me...:confused::confused::confused:

15. Mar 28, 2017 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Any post within the PF Lounge doesn't count towards your postcount.

Zz.

16. Mar 28, 2017 #15
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    Thanks

17. May 9, 2017 #16
  18. May 9, 2017 #17

russ_watters

Physics Forums has clear rules that people agree to follow when they sign up. If they break those rules, their posts may be deleted. Yes, it is censorship, but there is nothing unfair about that....er, well -- not by the staff: it is the member who violates the rules they agreed to follow who is being unfair to the staff and other members.

19. May 9, 2017 #18

mfb

2016 Award

Some users are not happy if their posts that violate forum rules are deleted. That is not surprising.

I can't comment on the particular case you linked because it is unclear which posts the user is talking about. What roger claims in that thread is clearly wrong.

20. May 9, 2017 #19
    I suppose that you are referring to this rule:
    "In the forums we do not allow... challenges to mainstream theories (relativity, the Big Bang, etc.)"

In my opinion, this unfair rule is not based on the true scientific method; it is based on a dogmatic view of science.
    If we were living in the year 1887, this kind of rule would not allow the publication of the Michelson-Morley experiment, seeing that it challenged the aether theory (which was followed by the physicists' mainstream during the 19th century).
    If we were living in 1905, the Relativity Theory of Poincaré-Einstein would be also censored (and not published), according to this rule.

21. May 9, 2017 #20
    Thank you for your feedback amjc. No further discussion is required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook