1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discontinuity to continuity

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    just a basic question, so if i'm asked to find 2 functions that are discontinus, but when added together, becomes continuous, how do I approach that?

can I say like, let

F(x) = 1 for x =< 0, and f(x) = 0 for x > 1.
    G(x) = 1 for x =<0 and g(x) = 0 for x = 1.

can I just somehow "add" f + g and say that is continuous? I dont know....tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let f be your favourite discontinuous function, then let g=1-f.

Prove g is discontinuous, and hence find a continuous function that is the sum of two continuous ones.

Your f and g, did you mean to capitalize them? Note g doesn't have the same domain as f; g isn't defined for any positive real numbers, and hence neither is f+g.

4. Nov 15, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you can't just say it's continuous- because it isn't!

(f+ g(x)= 2 for x<0, 1 if x= 0 and 0 if x>0
    (I've switched the last "1" to "0". The f and g you give are not defined between 0 and 1. Unless that's a typo, I have the uncomfortable feeling that you don't know what is meant by "defining" a function.

Taking f(x)= 1 for x<= 0, f(x)= 0 for x> 0, which is not continuous at x= 0,
    try matt grimes' suggestion. What is g(x)= 1- f(x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?