Discovering the Centre of Gravity: Tips and Techniques for Finding Balance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of center of gravity and how it is defined as the point where all the weight of an object acts upon. It is also mentioned that another way to define it is as the average location of the mass in an object. The question of how to solve for the center of mass is raised, and a link is provided for reference. The question at hand is to find the center of mass for a set of objects, specifically starting with a symmetric dumbbell.
gazing600000
Hello I am stuck on this question here(in attachments )

How do you find the centre of gravity ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
gazing600000 said:
How do you find the centre of gravity ?
What do you think? What's the definition of center of mass?

Well The centre of Gravity I believe is the point of which all of the weight of the object acts upon.

gazing600000 said:
Well The centre of Gravity I believe is the point of which all of the weight of the object acts upon.
That's true. Another way to define it is as the average location of the mass in an object.

Read this: Center of Mass

Yes but how would you solve the question then

gazing600000 said:
Yes but how would you solve the question then
Did you read the link I gave?

Yes I did

But surely there is a less complicated way of working out the centre of mass on this question

Please state the exact question you are trying to answer. It's not clear from your attachment.

Find the centre of gravity or mass of these objects

gazing600000 said:
Find the centre of gravity or mass of these objects
Well, what do you think?

Start with the symmetric dumbbell. Where do you think the center of mass would be?

(The link I gave tells you how to calculate the center of mass.)

Related to Discovering the Centre of Gravity: Tips and Techniques for Finding Balance

1. What is the centre of gravity?

The centre of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object appears to act. It is the point where the mass of an object is evenly distributed, and any force acting on the object will be balanced around this point.

2. How is the centre of gravity determined?

The centre of gravity can be determined by finding the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed on all sides. This can be done by balancing the object on a pivot or by using mathematical formulas to calculate the distribution of weight.

3. Why is the centre of gravity important?

The centre of gravity is important because it affects the stability and balance of an object. If an object's centre of gravity is too high, it will be more prone to tipping over. Understanding the centre of gravity is crucial in designing and engineering structures and vehicles to ensure their stability.

4. How does the centre of gravity differ from the centre of mass?

The centre of gravity and the centre of mass are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different. The centre of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed, while the centre of mass is the average location of all the mass in an object. In most cases, the two points are close to each other and can be considered the same.

5. Can the centre of gravity change?

Yes, the centre of gravity can change depending on the positioning of an object. If an object is tilted, rotated, or has weight added or removed from one side, the centre of gravity will shift accordingly. This is important to consider in situations where balance and stability are crucial, such as in sports or engineering.