Moment of force, rod with mass

Memo
Homework Statement
See the photo below. A uniform rod AC with a mass of 0.4kg, hang m1=5kg. Find m2 for the system to be in equilibrium.
Answer hint: m2=2.4(kg)
Relevant Equations
M=F*d*sina
387331626_3165611777081502_1178316719802908685_n.jpg

OA*P_A = OH*P + OB*P_B
⇔ OA*P_A = ¾*OA*P + 2OA*P_B
⇔ 5*10 = ¾*0.4*10 + 2*P_B
→P_B=23.5 →m2=2.35 (kg)

My result doesn't match the answer hint, and when I change the rod's centre of mass to OH=1, it fits the answer hint. How do I determine the centre of mass in this situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer matches the hint to 2 significant figures which the accuracy of the calculation. Your method is correct.

kuruman said:
Your answer matches the hint to 2 significant figures which the accuracy of the calculation. Your method is correct.
Thanks for reaching out. Normally, that would be considered incorrect. I meant, the figure gives out nicely, why would my teacher round it.

Memo said:
Thanks for reaching out. Normally, that would be considered incorrect. I meant, the figure gives out nicely, why would my teacher round it.
Because you have to eyeball the distances and the accuracy of the calculations does warrant anything more than two sig figs. Ask your teacher and see what answer you get.

The details of the diagram make me suspicious. The labels O, H, P and the down arrow at P seem to have been added later. The vertical divisions on the rod are unevenly spaced.
I suspect it has been inaccurately recycled.

Memo said:
How do I determine the centre of mass in this situation?
The center of mass is located 3.5 length units from each end of the rod.
The mass is evenly distributed along the rod because:
"A uniform rod AC with a mass of 0.4kg".

The answer hint is simply rounding 2.35 kg to 2.40 kg.
The error is only 2.1 %.

1. What is moment of force?

Moment of force, also known as torque, is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

2. How is moment of force related to a rod with mass?

A rod with mass can experience a moment of force when a force is applied to it at a distance from its axis of rotation. The magnitude of the moment of force is directly proportional to the mass of the rod and the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the equation for calculating moment of force?

The equation for calculating moment of force is M = F x d, where M is the moment of force, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the moment of force?

The direction of the force relative to the axis of rotation determines the direction of the moment of force. If the force is perpendicular to the axis, the moment of force will be maximum. If the force is parallel to the axis, the moment of force will be zero.

5. What are some real-life examples of moment of force on a rod with mass?

Some examples of moment of force on a rod with mass include opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, and swinging a bat. In each of these cases, the force applied to the rod at a distance from its axis of rotation creates a moment of force that causes the rod to rotate.