Who Smashed the Pumpkin?: Solving Suspect Statements

• Thread starter VinnyCee
  • Start date
In summary, the main suspect in "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" is the person seen running away from the crime scene, but there may be other suspects. The evidence used to solve the crime includes witness statements, forensic evidence, and other relevant clues. "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" is a fictional story and not based on a true story. The time it takes to solve the mystery varies and cannot be determined. It is not advisable to use the techniques in "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" to solve real-life crimes, as it is not a comprehensive guide and should be left to trained professionals.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

Four friends have been identified as suspects for a pumpkin smashing. They have made statements to the investigating authorities. (i)Alice said "Carlos did it." (ii)John said "I did not do it." (iii)Carlos said "Diana did it." (iv)Diana said "Carlos lied when he said that I did it."

a) If the authorities also know that exactly one of the four suspects is telling the truth, who did it? Explain your reasoning.

b) If the authorities also know that exactly one is lying, who did it? Explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

p = "John did it"

q = "Carlos did it"

r = "Diana did it"

(i) [tex]q[/tex]

(ii) [tex]\neg\,p[/tex]

(iii) [tex]r[/tex]

(iv) [tex]\neg\,r[/tex] or "Carlos lied"

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a truth table and reasoned that for a) John did it and for b) Carlos did it. Does that seem right? Is there another way that I should be going about this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
VinnyCee said:

Homework Statement

Four friends have been identified as suspects for a pumpkin smashing. They have made statements to the investigating authorities. (i)Alice said "Carlos did it." (ii)John said "I did not do it." (iii)Carlos said "Diana did it." (iv)Diana said "Carlos lied when he said that I did it."

a) If the authorities also know that exactly one of the four suspects is telling the truth, who did it? Explain your reasoning.

b) If the authorities also know that exactly one is lying, who did it? Explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

p = "John did it"

q = "Carlos did it"

r = "Diana did it"

(i) [tex]q[/tex]

(ii) [tex]\neg\,p[/tex]

(iii) [tex]r[/tex]

(iv) [tex]\neg\,r[/tex] or "Carlos lied"

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a truth table and reasoned that for a) John did it and for b) Carlos did it. Does that seem right? Is there another way that I should be going about this problem?

Obviously, the two statements: Carlos said "Diana did it." andb Diana said "Carlos lied when he said that I did it." are "mutually exclusive"- they can't both be true nor can they both be false. If only one statement is true, it must be one of these two. But that means John's statement, "I did not do it." must be FALSE: John is guilty.

If only one statement is false, again it must be one Carlos or Diana's. But then Alice's statement, "Carlos did it" must be true. Yes, you are correct.

1. Who is the suspect in "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?"

The main suspect in "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" is the person who was seen running away from the scene of the crime. However, there may be other suspects depending on the evidence and witness statements.

2. What evidence is used to solve the crime in "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?"

The evidence used to solve the crime in "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" includes witness statements, forensic evidence such as fingerprints or DNA, and any other relevant clues found at the crime scene.

3. Is "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" a true story?

"Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" is a fictional story. While it may be based on real-life crime-solving techniques, the characters and events are not based on real people or events.

4. How long does it take to solve the mystery in "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?"

The time it takes to solve the mystery in "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" varies depending on the complexity of the case and the availability of evidence and witnesses. It could take days, weeks, or even months to fully solve the mystery.

5. Can I use the techniques in "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" to solve real-life crimes?

While "Who Smashed the Pumpkin?" may provide insight into crime-solving techniques, it is not a comprehensive guide and should not be used to solve real-life crimes. It is important to leave crime-solving to trained professionals such as law enforcement and forensic scientists.