Discrete Time Fourier Transformation (DTFT) Question

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the DTFT of a given signal and the approach to take. The DTFT is understood as a collection of DFTs calculated at different frequencies. The formula for the DTFT of a step function is mentioned and it is suggested to plot the magnitude and phase of the resulting complex exponential function for a better understanding of the signal's frequency components. No further output is provided before the summary.
Inquiring_M
Hello all !

Homework Statement

I have the following problem.

I have to calculate the DTFT of this : x(n)=u(n)-u(n-4).

Homework Equations

Fourier Transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far , from what I have studied I have understood, that a DTFT , is actually many DFT's calculated for different omega values, let's say in an interval from -pi to pi , with step 0.2 .

Is this alright so far ?

It is proven that x[n] = 1

So finally have this:

28s3aqq.png

Now my main problem, how can I continue from that step ? Am I supposed to get some arithmetic result ?

Thanks for you help !

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of DTFT. You are correct in thinking that a DTFT is essentially a collection of DFTs calculated at different frequencies. In this case, since the signal x(n) is a simple step function, the DTFT can be calculated using the formula for the DTFT of a step function, which is 1/(1-e^(-jw)). This will give you a result that is a complex exponential function. You can then plot the magnitude and phase of this function to get a better understanding of the frequency components present in your signal. I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the purpose of the Discrete Time Fourier Transformation (DTFT)?

The DTFT is a mathematical tool used to analyze signals that are discrete in both time and frequency domains. It allows us to view a signal in the frequency domain and understand its frequency components and their respective amplitudes and phases.

2. How is the Discrete Time Fourier Transformation (DTFT) different from the Fast Fourier Transformation (FFT)?

The DTFT is a continuous function that operates on discrete signals, while the FFT is a discrete algorithm that operates on discrete signals. The FFT is a more efficient and computationally faster method for calculating the DTFT of a signal.

3. What is the relationship between the Discrete Time Fourier Transformation (DTFT) and the Discrete Fourier Transformation (DFT)?

The DTFT is the continuous version of the DFT. The DFT operates on a finite number of discrete samples of a signal, while the DTFT operates on an infinite number of samples. The DFT can be thought of as a sampled version of the DTFT.

4. Can the Discrete Time Fourier Transformation (DTFT) be applied to non-periodic signals?

Yes, the DTFT can be applied to both periodic and non-periodic signals. However, the resulting frequency spectrum for non-periodic signals will be continuous and infinite, making it more difficult to interpret.

5. How is the Discrete Time Fourier Transformation (DTFT) used in practical applications?

The DTFT is commonly used in signal processing, communication systems, and control systems to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. It is also used in image and audio processing for filtering and noise reduction.