Disintegration Energy of Beta Plus Decay

In summary, the radionuclide 11C decays by emitting a positron and a neutrino, with a disintegration energy given by Q = (mC - mB - 2me) c2. This can be obtained from the equation Q = (mi - mf) c2 by taking into account that the given masses mC and mB are atomic masses and not nuclear masses. Therefore, to get the correct nuclear mass of carbon, one must subtract 6 electron masses from the atomic mass.
xoxomae

Homework Statement

The radionuclide 11C decays according to
116C → 115B + e+ + v
Show that the disintegration energy is given by
Q = (mC - mB - 2me) c2

Homework Equations

Q = (mi - mf) c2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Q= (mC - mB - me) c2

Im probably missing something obvious but I can't see where the 2me comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
The key is to remember that the given masses mC and mB are atomic masses, not nuclear masses.

But that leads me to
Q = ((mC+6mE) - (mB + 5mE + mE))c2

Which gives me
Q= (mC + mB)c2

To get the nuclear mass of the carbon, should you add 6 electrons to the atomic mass?

Ah i think I understand

Q = ((mC- 6mE) - (mB - 5mE + mE))c2

Q = (mC - mB - 2me) c2

Is this right?

Looks right. Good.

Thank You :)

1. What is beta plus decay?

Beta plus decay, also known as positron emission, is a type of radioactive decay in which a proton in the nucleus of an atom is converted into a neutron, resulting in the emission of a positron (a positively charged electron) and a neutrino.

2. How is the disintegration energy of beta plus decay calculated?

The disintegration energy of beta plus decay is calculated using the mass difference between the parent and daughter nuclei. This mass difference is then converted into energy using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

3. What factors affect the disintegration energy of beta plus decay?

The disintegration energy of beta plus decay is affected by the mass difference between the parent and daughter nuclei, as well as the nuclear structure and composition of the atoms involved.

4. How does the disintegration energy of beta plus decay compare to other types of radioactive decay?

The disintegration energy of beta plus decay is typically higher than other types of radioactive decay, such as alpha or beta minus decay. This is because the positron emitted during beta plus decay has a higher mass than an electron, resulting in a higher energy release.

5. What are the practical applications of studying disintegration energy of beta plus decay?

Studying the disintegration energy of beta plus decay can provide insights into the nuclear structure of atoms and help in the development of nuclear energy technologies. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), to detect and diagnose diseases.