Dispersion relationship for internal gravity wave

In summary, the group velocity vector is parallel to lines of constant phase and perpendicular to the phase speed due to the fact that the vertical group velocity does not vary with changes to the vertical wavenumber, while the phase speed does.
danhall24
Hi, I am a postgraduate environmental science student (NOT a mathematician!) struggling through some necessary maths. Any help with the following (which I suspect will be relatively straight foward) would be very much appreciated. Please ask questions if I have not made myself clear.

Homework Statement

Given the dispersion relationship and intrinsic frequency of a 2-d internal gravity wave (in the horizontal (x dimension) and vertical (z dimension)), show that / explain why the group velocity vector is parallel to lines of constant phase and hence perpendicular to the phase speed. Note that this isn't a question I have been set, it is simply something I am struggling with from a textbook.

(I have checked and rechecked the equations below - they are definitely exactly the same as in the textbook.)

Homework Equations

Dispersion relationship:
(ω - uk)2 (k2 + m2) - N2k2 = 0

where ω is frequency, u is flow speed in the x direction (which is constant, i.e. does not vary in the z direction), k is wavenumber in the x direction, m is wavenumber in the z direction and N is a constant.

Intrinsic frequency, v:
v = ω - uk = Nk / (k2 + m2)1/2

Horizontal phase speed, cx:
cx = v / k

Vertical phase speed, cz:
cz = v / m

Horizontal group velocity, cgx:
cgx = ∂v/∂k = u + (Nm2) / (k2 + m2) 3/2

Vertical group velocity, cgz:
cgz = ∂v/∂m = -Nkm / (k2 + m2) 3/2

In the textbook it simply says "it is easily shown from [the group velocity equations] that the group velocity vector is parallel to lines of constant phase."
It may be easy, but not for me. Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Answer From the equations for the horizontal and vertical phase speed, we can see that the phase speed is a function of both k and m. That is, the phase speed is not constant, but varies with changes to both the horizontal and vertical wavenumbers. Therefore, lines of constant phase form a surface in the k-m-space.Now, let's look at the group velocity equations. For the horizontal group velocity, we can see that it is a function of both k and m, like the phase speed. However, for the vertical group velocity, we can see that it is only a function of k. That is, the vertical group velocity does not vary with changes to the vertical wavenumber (m). This implies that the group velocity vector is parallel to lines of constant phase, since the vertical component of the group velocity vector does not vary with changes to m, and thus it is always perpendicular to the surface of constant phase in the k-m-space.

What is the dispersion relationship for internal gravity waves?

The dispersion relationship for internal gravity waves is an equation that describes the relationship between the frequency, wavelength, and propagation speed of an internal gravity wave in a fluid medium. It is derived from the equations of motion and continuity for a stratified fluid and is based on the assumption of linear wave theory.

How is the dispersion relationship derived?

The dispersion relationship for internal gravity waves is derived through the linearization of the equations of motion and continuity for a stratified fluid. This involves assuming small amplitude and small wavelength perturbations in the fluid, which allows for the use of linear wave theory. The resulting equation is then solved for the wave speed, frequency, and wavelength.

What is the significance of the dispersion relationship for internal gravity waves?

The dispersion relationship is significant because it allows for the prediction of the behavior of internal gravity waves in a fluid medium. It is used to determine the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a wave, as well as the direction of wave propagation. This is important for understanding the dynamics of internal gravity waves and their impact on ocean and atmospheric circulation.

What factors affect the dispersion relationship for internal gravity waves?

The dispersion relationship for internal gravity waves is affected by several factors, including the stratification or density profile of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the Coriolis force. Changes in these factors can alter the speed, frequency, and wavelength of internal gravity waves, and therefore, affect their behavior.

Can the dispersion relationship be applied to other types of waves?

While the dispersion relationship is specifically derived for internal gravity waves, it can also be applied to other types of waves, such as surface gravity waves and acoustic waves, under certain conditions. This is because these waves also exhibit dispersion, or the dependence of wave speed on wavelength, due to the stratification of the medium they are propagating through.