Displacement caused by Coriolis effect -

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the equation of eastward displacement due to the Coreolis effect. The person has already found the force per unit mass, but is struggling with finding the specific equation for eastward displacement. They are looking for help and others suggest using differential equations and writing the acceleration in component form. They also mention that there are three equations of motion in total, one for each independent direction in space.
James1991
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6590/mwsnap001.jpg

The image above shows the question I'm stuck on.

I've done the first part and got the force per unit mass to be -2wV'cos[tex]\lambda[/tex]

But I have no idea how to get the equation for the eastward displacement due to the Coreolis.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the three x,y,z equations of motion for this case?

I was using an equation of motion which relates the acceleration in the Earth's rotating frame and a non moving frame and i tried to intergrate it to get the answer they wanted

a = a' - 2wXv' + wX(wXx')

where a, a', w, v' and x' are vectors and X is the cross product

There are three equations of motion, not just one, because there are three independent directions in space. Assume that z is "up", x is due East and and y is due North from the latitude of the object. What the three equations of motion?

kuruman said:
There are three equations of motion, not just one, because there are three independent directions in space. Assume that z is "up", x is due East and and y is due North from the latitude of the object. What the three equations of motion?

z = 1/2gt^2

x = v^2sin2(theta)/g

pretty sure we don't need y in this case. am i along the right lines? still not sure how to get what they got using these

Look for differential equations. What is the general form for the acceleration in the rotating frame? What happens when you write it in component form? Yes, you will not need y in this case, but it wouldn't hurt to write all three of them and then use what you need.

1. What is the Coriolis effect?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of moving objects, such as air or water currents, on the surface of the Earth due to the Earth's rotation. This effect is caused by the difference in the linear velocity of objects at different latitudes.

2. How does the Coriolis effect cause displacement?

The Coriolis effect causes displacement by deflecting moving objects to the right in the Northern hemisphere and to the left in the Southern hemisphere. This deflection is due to the change in the linear velocity of the objects as they move towards or away from the Earth's axis of rotation.

3. Can the Coriolis effect impact large-scale weather patterns?

Yes, the Coriolis effect plays a significant role in the formation of large-scale weather patterns, such as hurricanes and typhoons. The deflection of air and water currents can lead to the development and intensification of these storms.

4. Does the Coriolis effect only affect objects on the Earth's surface?

No, the Coriolis effect can also impact objects in the atmosphere and in bodies of water. The deflection can occur at various levels within the atmosphere and can influence the direction of ocean currents.

5. Is the Coriolis effect the same at all latitudes?

No, the Coriolis effect is stronger at higher latitudes and weaker at the equator. This is due to the distance of the moving object from the Earth's axis of rotation, with greater distance resulting in a greater deflection.