Displacement from velocity and time dependent force

In summary, the conversation is about finding x(t) using the given equation for force and initial conditions. The student is struggling with separating the variables and using the chain rule. They ask for suggestions on how to approach the problem.
briteliner

Homework Statement

The Force is F(x)=Av2/x. find x(t) if x(0)=0 and vx(0)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue is that i set this up as mdv/dt=F but when i try to separate the variables i don't know what to do about the v since it depends on x. any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
briteliner said:
… My issue is that i set this up as mdv/dt=F but when i try to separate the variables i don't know what to do about the v since it depends on x. any suggestions?

Hi briteliner! :smile:

Standard trick …

dv/dt = dv/dx dx/dt (chain rule) = v dv/dx :wink:

okay, so i do that.. and i get that (mv)dv/dx-kx(dv/dx)=0. can i cancel the dv/dx?

briteliner said:
… (mv)dv/dx-kx(dv/dx)=0 …

uhh? :redface: have you changed the question? :confused:

Related to Displacement from velocity and time dependent force

1. How is displacement calculated from velocity and time dependent force?

The displacement can be calculated by integrating the velocity function over a given time interval. Mathematically, it can be represented as:
d = ∫v(t)dt

2. Can displacement be negative in this scenario?

Yes, displacement can be negative if the velocity and time dependent force are in opposite directions. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the applied force.

3. What is the significance of time in this equation?

Time plays a crucial role as it determines the duration over which the velocity and force are acting on the object. The longer the time interval, the greater the displacement will be.

4. Can this equation be used to calculate displacement in all situations?

No, this equation is applicable only in cases where the force acting on the object is dependent on both velocity and time. In other scenarios, different equations and methods may be required to calculate displacement.

5. How does displacement relate to the overall motion of an object?

Displacement is an important measure of an object's motion as it provides information about the distance and direction of its overall movement. It is also a crucial component in calculating other motion parameters such as velocity and acceleration.