1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement of water for a boat and raft

1. Apr 3, 2010 #1
    If you have a perfectly flat, rectangular raft and a perfectly flat, rectangular boat, which will displace more water? Or will the water displacement be the same.

I remember that the water displacement is dependent on the shape of the floating object and the weight, but I can't remember exactly how to calculate the water displaced.

This is for a cardboard boat design in a pretty shallow creek, so vertical displacement is the most important factor. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

First thing we need to understand is the functional difference is between a raft and a boat in your world.

I am going to guess that the functional difference between the two is that a boat is a hollow rectangle, whereas a raft is a solid rectangle. Would this be correct?

4. Apr 3, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

...assuming that's the case and assuming the mass is the same, displacement, as Archimedes figured out, is equal to the weight of the boat/raft, so....

5. Apr 3, 2010 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That was going to be my next question. The OP has not provided enough detail and I wasn't prepared to take it for granted (If you assume the mass is the same then there is no functional difference at all between a raft and a boat). I figured I'd tease it out of him while he worked it through.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook