Displacement of water for a boat and raft

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of water displacement and how it is affected by the shape and weight of a floating object. The question is posed about which would displace more water between a flat, rectangular raft and a flat, rectangular boat. It is determined that the functional difference between the two is that a boat is a hollow rectangle while a raft is a solid rectangle. Assuming the mass is the same, the water displacement would also be the same. However, it is noted that more details are needed to fully determine the answer.
donquixote17
If you have a perfectly flat, rectangular raft and a perfectly flat, rectangular boat, which will displace more water? Or will the water displacement be the same.

I remember that the water displacement is dependent on the shape of the floating object and the weight, but I can't remember exactly how to calculate the water displaced.

This is for a cardboard boat design in a pretty shallow creek, so vertical displacement is the most important factor. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing we need to understand is the functional difference is between a raft and a boat in your world.

I am going to guess that the functional difference between the two is that a boat is a hollow rectangle, whereas a raft is a solid rectangle. Would this be correct?

...assuming that's the case and assuming the mass is the same, displacement, as Archimedes figured out, is equal to the weight of the boat/raft, so...

russ_watters said:
... assuming the mass is the same...
That was going to be my next question. The OP has not provided enough detail and I wasn't prepared to take it for granted (If you assume the mass is the same then there is no functional difference at all between a raft and a boat). I figured I'd tease it out of him while he worked it through.

I can provide some insight into the water displacement for a boat and a raft. The amount of water displaced by an object is determined by its volume, which is directly related to its shape and weight. In general, a boat will displace more water than a raft due to its larger volume and weight. However, if the boat and raft have the same weight and are both perfectly flat and rectangular, they will displace the same amount of water.

In this scenario, the vertical displacement of the object is the most important factor. This is because the depth of the water is directly affected by the weight of the object pushing down on it. So, if the boat and raft have the same weight, they will both push down on the water with the same force and displace the same amount of water vertically.

However, it is important to note that the shape of the object can also impact the stability and buoyancy in the water. A boat with a more streamlined shape may be able to displace the same amount of water as a raft while also being more stable and less likely to capsize.

In terms of calculating the water displaced, you can use the formula for volume (V = l x w x h) to determine the amount of water displaced by a rectangular object. The length (l) and width (w) would be the dimensions of the object, and the height (h) would be the depth of the water displaced.

I hope this helps in your cardboard boat design for the shallow creek. Remember to consider both the vertical displacement and the stability of the object when designing for optimal performance.

Related to Displacement of water for a boat and raft

1. What is displacement of water and why is it important for boats and rafts?

Displacement of water refers to the amount of water that is displaced or moved out of the way when an object, such as a boat or raft, is placed in it. It is an important concept for these watercrafts because it affects how much weight they can hold and how they float.

2. How does the shape of a boat or raft affect its displacement?

The shape of a boat or raft can greatly impact its displacement. For instance, a boat with a wider hull will displace more water and be able to hold more weight than a boat with a narrower hull. Similarly, a raft with a larger surface area will displace more water and be able to hold more weight than a smaller raft.

3. Can the displacement of water change for a boat or raft?

Yes, the displacement of water can change for a boat or raft depending on the weight of the objects or passengers on board. As more weight is added, the boat or raft will displace more water and sit lower in the water. This is why it is important to distribute weight evenly on a boat or raft to maintain balance and prevent capsizing.

4. How does the density of water relate to displacement?

The density of water plays a crucial role in displacement. The more dense an object is, the more water it will displace and the higher it will float. This is why a heavy steel boat will float higher in the water than a lighter wooden boat with the same dimensions. Additionally, objects that are less dense than water, such as a raft, will float on top of the water's surface.

5. What is the difference between displacement and draft for a boat or raft?

Displacement and draft are related but different concepts. Displacement refers to the overall amount of water that is displaced by a boat or raft, whereas draft refers to the depth of the boat or raft in the water. The draft can change depending on the amount of weight onboard, while the displacement will remain the same.