Dissolving Equation for NH3: NH3 + H2O = NH4+ + OH-

• Thread starter synergix
  • Start date
In summary, the dissolution of NH3 (ammonia) does not involve a reaction with water. While the reaction NH3(s) + H2O(l) → NH4+(aq) + OH-(aq) does occur, the equilibrium is heavily favored towards the reactants, making it a minor contributor to the overall process.
synergix

Homework Statement

write the dissolution equation for NH3(ammonia)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the NH3 steals a proton(H+) from a water molecule therefore creating a hydroxide ion and a ammonium ion is this correct? here is what i have done.

NH3(s)----H20---->NH4+(aq) + OH-(aq)

I may have solved this on my own but I like to be certain and I won't get a chance to ask my instructor before I must hand my assignment in. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a little bit tricky. In general, ammonia just dissolves, and it doesn't react with water.

Reaction you wrote does occur, but the equilibrium is far to the left.

Yes, your solution is correct! The dissolution equation for NH3 is NH3 + H2O = NH4+ + OH-. This reaction occurs when dissolved in water, as NH3 is a basic compound and will react with water to form NH4+ (ammonium) and OH- (hydroxide) ions. This process is known as hydrolysis and is an important reaction in many chemical and biological systems. Great job on solving it on your own!

What is a dissolving equation?

A dissolving equation is a mathematical representation of the process of dissolving, where a solute (usually a solid) is dissolved in a solvent (usually a liquid) to form a solution.

What is the purpose of a dissolving equation?

The purpose of a dissolving equation is to quantitatively describe the process of dissolving and to predict the amount of solute that will dissolve in a given amount of solvent.

What is the general format of a dissolving equation?

The general format of a dissolving equation is: Solute + Solvent ⇌ Solution, where the arrow indicates the direction of the reaction and the double arrow indicates that the reaction is reversible.

What factors can affect the rate of dissolving?

The rate of dissolving can be affected by factors such as temperature, surface area of the solute, stirring, and the solubility of the solute in the solvent.

How can a dissolving equation be balanced?

A dissolving equation can be balanced by ensuring that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients of the reactants and products.