Distance a platform moves when a person walks on it

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Platform
In summary, a metal platform of mass M and length L is placed on a frictionless floor. A man of mass m walks on the platform from the left end to the right end, with the left end denoted as point O. Using the principle of conservation of momentum, the man's final velocity is determined to be m.v1 / M. The platform's movement is then calculated using the time needed for the man to reach the right end, which is L / (v1 + v2). This results in a distance of m/(m + M) . L moved by the platform with respect to point O. Another method, relying on the principle that the centre of mass will be in rectilinear motion in the absence of external
songoku

Homework Statement

A metal platform of mass M and length L is placed on a frictionless floor. A man of mass m walks on the platform from the left end to the right end of the platform. Let left end of platform denoted as point O. How much does the platform move on the floor with respect to O?

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum

d = v.t

The Attempt at a Solution

Using conservation of momentum:
total momentum of system before the man walks = total momentum of system after the man walks
0 = m.v1 + M.v2

v2 = m.v1 / M

When the person walks to the right, the platform will move to the left so the time needed for the man to reach the right end:
t = d / v = L / (v1 + v2)

Distance moved by the platform with respect to O
= v2 . t
= m.v1 / M . L / (v1 + v2)
= m.v1 / M . L / (v1 + m.v1 / M)
= m/(m + M) . L

Is this correct? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:

Homework Statement

A metal platform of mass M and length L is placed on a frictionless floor. A man of mass m walks on the platform from the left end to the right end of the platform. Let left end of platform denoted as point O. How much does the platform move on the floor with respect to O?

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum

d = v.t

The Attempt at a Solution

Using conservation of momentum:
total momentum of system before the man walks = total momentum of system after the man walks
0 = m.v1 + M.v2

v2 = m.v1 / M

When the person walks to the right, the platform will move to the left so the time needed for the man to reach the right end:
t = d / v = L / (v1 + v2)

Distance moved by the platform with respect to O
= v2 . t
= m.v1 / M . L / (v1 + v2)
= m.v1 / M . L / (v1 + m.v1 / M)
= m/(m + M) . L

Is this correct? Thanks
That looks right.

Likes songoku
The question has failed to state explicitly the crucial assumption that the man and platform are initially at rest.

An alternative solution, which relies on the same principle is that in the absence of external forces, the centre of mass will be in rectilinear motion (and therefore at rest in this case). From this you directly obtain ##m x + My = 0##, where ##x## is the distance covered by the man and ##y## the distance covered by the platform. The fact that the man should move a distance ##L## relative to the platform gives you ##x = L+y##. Thus
$$
m(L+y) + My = 0 \quad \Longrightarrow \quad y = -\frac{mL}{M+m}.
$$
(Note that I put the positive direction to be the direction in which the man walks.)

This method completely avoids your assumption of constant velocity, it is not needed.

Likes songoku
Orodruin said:
The question has failed to state explicitly the crucial assumption that the man and platform are initially at rest.

An alternative solution, which relies on the same principle is that in the absence of external forces, the centre of mass will be in rectilinear motion (and therefore at rest in this case). From this you directly obtain ##m x + My = 0##, where ##x## is the distance covered by the man and ##y## the distance covered by the platform. The fact that the man should move a distance ##L## relative to the platform gives you ##x = L+y##. Thus
$$
m(L+y) + My = 0 \quad \Longrightarrow \quad y = -\frac{mL}{M+m}.
$$
(Note that I put the positive direction to be the direction in which the man walks.)

This method completely avoids your assumption of constant velocity, it is not needed.

Wow I never learned this thing before. In what chapter should I learn about this? Or maybe you have suggestion where I can learn about this ?

Thanks

1. How is the distance a platform moves when a person walks on it calculated?

The distance a platform moves when a person walks on it is calculated by measuring the displacement of the platform's starting position and ending position. This is typically measured in meters or feet.

2. What factors affect the distance a platform moves when a person walks on it?

The main factors that affect the distance a platform moves when a person walks on it are the person's weight and the elasticity of the platform's material. Other factors may include the angle of the platform and the speed at which the person walks.

3. Can the distance a platform moves when a person walks on it be accurately predicted?

Yes, the distance a platform moves when a person walks on it can be accurately predicted using mathematical equations and taking into account the factors mentioned above. However, there may be some variability due to individual differences in walking patterns and the condition of the platform.

4. How does the distance a platform moves when a person walks on it impact its stability?

The distance a platform moves when a person walks on it can affect its stability by shifting its center of gravity. If the platform moves too far, it may become unstable and potentially tip over. Therefore, it is important to consider the platform's weight and dimensions when calculating the expected distance it will move.

5. Is there a maximum distance a platform can safely move when a person walks on it?

There is no specific maximum distance that a platform can safely move when a person walks on it, as it depends on the platform's design and intended use. However, it is important to follow safety guidelines and ensure that the platform remains stable and does not pose a risk of injury to the person walking on it.