Distance between a point and a line in space

In summary, the problem is to find the distance between a given point (2,5,1) and a line whose direction is given by the vector 2i − 3j + 6k. The formula for finding this distance is D = \frac{||PQ \times u||}{||u||}, where P is a point on the line, Q is the given point, and u is the direction vector. This involves multiplying the scalar (point) by a unit vector and cross multiplying with the given vector, taking the magnitude of the resultant vector, and dividing by the magnitude of the unit vector.
lockedup

Homework Statement

Find the distance between (2,5,1) and the line 2i − 3j + 6k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find a formula to figure this (or one that makes any sense)...

Physics news on Phys.org
lockedup said:
... and the line 2i − 3j +6k.

It's a plane.

Gunthi said:
It's a plane.
No, it isn't.

lockedup said:

Homework Statement

Find the distance between (2,5,1) and the line 2i − 3j + 6k.
2i - 3j + 6k isn't a line -- it's a vector. It has a certain length, while a line has infinite length. The problem is probably something more like this:
Find the distance between (2,5,1) and the line whose direction is given by the vector 2i − 3j + 6k.​

lockedup said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find a formula to figure this (or one that makes any sense)...
Just as well. Given that you can't find a formula, how would you approach this problem? According to the forum rules, you have to give it a good shot before anyone can give you any help.

Gunthi,

I believe you are asking how to find the distance between a point in space, and a vector?

If so, start by looking at line-distance formulas and vector math.

I hope this gives you a jumping-off point.

Mark44 said:
2i - 3j + 6k isn't a line -- it's a vector. It has a certain length, while a line has infinite length. The problem is probably something more like this:
Find the distance between (2,5,1) and the line whose direction is given by the vector 2i − 3j + 6k.​

Just as well. Given that you can't find a formula, how would you approach this problem? According to the forum rules, you have to give it a good shot before anyone can give you any help.
My assignment sheet says line...

Does 20 or so google searches count? I've clicked on numerous links, some from here, and none of it makes any sense.

The formula in my Calculus book states:

[tex]D = \frac{||PQ \times u||}{||u||}[/tex]

P is a point on the line, Q is the point in space, and u is the direction vector. Since I'm only given a vector and as opposed to a line, can I use (0, 0, 0) for P so that PQ is just Q?

Sure, give your formula a shot.

And no, Google searches don't count...

Mark44 said:
No, it isn't.

You're right, I confused notation, sorry lockedup.

pootette said:
Gunthi,

I believe you are asking how to find the distance between a point in space, and a vector?

If so, start by looking at line-distance formulas and vector math.

I hope this gives you a jumping-off point.

That was not my question.

Gunthi,
If it were 2x - 3y + 6z = 0, you would be right

Mark44 said:
Gunthi,
If it were 2x - 3y + 6z = 0, you would be right

Yes, that was what I thought initialy.
I'm just not accostumed to working with i,j,k.

The formula wants you to multiply the scalar (point) by a unit vector and cross multiply with the given vector. Take the magnitude of the resultant vector. Then divide by magnitude of the unit vector (just a step that has to be done - balances things out :)). This will give a scalar quantity of distance.

Last edited:

Related to Distance between a point and a line in space

1. What is the formula for finding the distance between a point and a line in space?

The formula for finding the distance between a point and a line in space is:
d = |ax0 + by0 + cz0 + d| / √(a² + b² + c²),
where (x0, y0, z0) is the coordinates of the point, and ax + by + cz + d = 0 is the equation of the line in standard form.

2. Can the distance between a point and a line be negative?

No, the distance between a point and a line cannot be negative. Distance is always a positive value, as it represents the shortest distance between the point and the line.

3. How do I find the coordinates of the closest point on a line to a given point in space?

To find the coordinates of the closest point on a line to a given point in space, you can use the formula:
x = (b(bx0 - ay0) - acz0 - ad) / (a² + b²),
y = (a(-bx0 + ay0) - bcx0 - bd) / (a² + b²),
z = (a(ay0 + bx0) - bcx0 - bd) / (a² + b²),
where (x0, y0, z0) is the coordinates of the given point, and ax + by + cz + d = 0 is the equation of the line in standard form.

4. Can the distance between a point and a line be calculated in any coordinate system?

Yes, the distance between a point and a line can be calculated in any coordinate system as long as the coordinates of the point and the equation of the line are in the same coordinate system.

5. Is there a simpler way to find the distance between a point and a line?

Yes, another way to find the distance between a point and a line is to use the perpendicular distance formula:
d = |ax0 + by0 + cz0 + d| / √(a² + b² + c²),
where (x0, y0, z0) is the coordinates of the point, and ax + by + cz + d = 0 is the equation of a line perpendicular to the given line that passes through the given point.